Stoneleigh hotel vs melrose hotel

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stoneleigh hotel vs melrose hotel

My mom, aunt, cousin and I are visiting a old family friend in Dallas. After a search of our friend's neighborhood, the Melrose and the Stoneleigh are both seem to be good options.

The Melrose seems the stuffier of the two. The stoneleigh seems elegant/classy. Mom is big on "name hotels" so she favors the Melrose. The rest of us don't care and are more $$ conscious.

Note that the Melrose is almost double the Stoneleigh, which is why I was considering the stoneleigh. However, some users from this site rate the stoneleigh very low. Mom will "not be pleased" if we go out on a limb for a hotel that, in the end, does not measure up. (note: I'm being facetious here but truthful)

So, which is better?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Huny...I have stayed at the Melrose, and except for the corner it is located on, it remains one of my favorites.The hotel staff IMHO is truly professional, almost like "white gloved" without the gloves.I have noticed that the bar in the afternoons seems to be filled with local, gentrified movers nad shakers of Dallas commerce, industry, and of course society.Not much riff raff either.I have not stayed at The Stoneleigh.I have visited there and found the atmosphere inside and out much more sedate.A more calm and quiet feeling, and with good service.I remember Ewald's as a restaurant either in the hotel or next door.My friends indicated that it was a "venerable institution" in Dallas.I hope this helps!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
yk

The Melrose is MUCH nicer than the Stoneleigh.
Did you check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com?
Melrose is ranked #2 hotel in Dallas, and Stoneleigh is #114.

You get what you paid for.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM

The Melrose is always my first choice when visiting Dallas. I have stayed at the Stoneleigh and it's showing its age. Needs a renovation rather than just occasional spruce-ups.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Have you heard of Hotel ZaZa very hip and walking distance to several restaurants and the West Village - I live in Dallas and my clients love staying there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

We booked the Melrose and were pleasantly surprised. We ended up with a corner room b/c the one originally for us had a king. The corner room was spacious with comfy beds and deep terry bathrobes. The bath had marble flooring, ample room, nice amenitites(I don't usually even care), like cottom balls. We had a small issue when the toilet flooded through the handle but the staff was immediately upstairs and very helpful. Breakfast was good, albeit expensive. A few blocks from the restaurant was a great take out place called Eatzi's...like WholeFoods meets fast food. It was all prepared foods but vegies and high end cheeses etc.

Would stay there again in a heartbeat!