Mansion or Zaza for Dallas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me choose between the Mansion on Turtle Creek or the Hotel Zaza for an upcoming business trip to Dallas.

I'll be flying in from Asia with my wife and I'll have to spend 4 nights in Dallas. We will have to go to the International Apparel Mart and the Market Center everyday for the business side and would like a nice room to return to for the evening. How are the rooms at the Zaza? From the website it does look a bit gaudy so I'm wondering if it is comfortable(nice big bathrooms, good quality bed etc). Also, is it worth to be on the club floor? With regard to the Mansion - I've stayed in this hotel 15 years ago so I'm wondering if the hotel has been modernized or are rooms getting old and faded?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:19 AM
OliveOyl

I've heard plenty recommend ZaZa here, but if your choice is between that and the Mansion, I'd take the Mansion any day!

The Mansion is a 5* Mobil hotel, one of only 30 in the US, and a near impossible status to achieve! ZaZa is a 3*--no comparison! Also, any hotel of any stature renovates at least every 4 years or so and a 5* should be impeccable in all regards, always...decor, service etc.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:11 AM

The Mansion.It seems that most of the "recommendations" I have seen on this forum for ZaZa have been from locals,those who live in the Dallas area.I have seen none from anyone who has actually stayed there.It has been open since December,fab reviews in the local media and promoted as hip trendy and tres-chic.I understand it is the only hotel in the Southwest featured in the CondeNaste top 30 "HOT" hotels,actually to be featured in the next issue.I have friends in Dallas and the restaurant Dragonfly also is getting rave reviews as the newest fab restaurant.I have only gone to the Mansion when someone else was buying!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:38 AM

I've never stayed at Zaza, but my stay at the Mansion is still memorable. The rooms are lovely, the food is great and the service is impeccable. I'll never forget how I slipped into a lounge chair by the pool and within minutes, a waiter appeared with an ice-cold bottle of Evian. No charge, he just thought I might "want" it. You gotta' love that!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Yes I live here and yes, I love ZaZa and YES, I have stayed there.
I am in the hotel industry and was invited to stay as part of the grand opening. I have been to the mansion many times, as well.
ZaZa IS NOT a 3 star hotel (where do you get THAT from?) It is too new to be rated.
The mansion is stuffy and "tired" if you ask me... but there are people who enjoy stuffy and tired.
ZaZa is younger, new money, more fun.
It all depends on what you get into... you know...
PS... Dragonfly is great and YES I have eaten there.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:54 AM
GoTravel

I have stayed at the Mansion on Turtle Creek and it is wonderful! I have not stayed at Hotel Zaza.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comment everybody!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:14 AM
OliveOyl

TxTravelPro--go to Mobil Guides (you can research it online), input the ZaZa for Dallas and you'll see, it comes up a 3*.

Mobil had a huge shake-up in their rating systems this year, trying to more aggresively compete with the better known and more widely read AAA guides. They were determined to be the best, and in doing so, many hotels lost a star and many you would think would be at least 4, (ours included) are no longer. Lots of bitter feelings resulting, believe me! But, ZaZa, for what it's worth, is rated by Mobil, and is a 3*, that's all.

http://www.exxonmobiltravel.com/index.jsp?menu=lodging

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:39 AM

I know that the Mansion is notably one of the finest rated hotels in the US..I have no idea what is the Zaza. I can recommend the Mansion and not recommend the Mansion all in the same breathe. Is it nice? Yes. Is it expensive? Yes. I have a stayed at nicer hotels for the same money? Yes. Did I enjoy sitting in a meeting room or at the pool in the flight path of all of the Soutwest in-bound and out-bound flights to and from Love Field. No.
Would I stay there again. Doubtful. Next time it will probably be the Cresent Center for me.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM
OliveOyl

LOL...if I've learned anything living in this airport hotel for the past 7 years, it's that if planes are inbound FROM the south, they are not also outbound TO the south at the same time. Land from the south, take off to the north, and vice versa. And that changes during the day, seemingly according to the wind direction...take off into the wind, and land with it. This is even true of our airport where the runways are spaced at a good distance, and I'm certain is true of Love Field especially, where the runways are quite close, side by side. Imagine the air traffic nightmare if planes were taking off and landing toward each other!! gt;

My only point is that the Mansion doesn't get all the take-offs as well as all the landings to and from Love. At any given time, they are getting one or the other.

Mansion is very close to the airport. I've only eaten there, never stayed so don't know how much of a factor noise is--didn't hear/notice the planes while dining. Oh yes, one other thing I've learned living where I do is that Southwest has the loudest of any planes. I don't even have to look up now when I hear one...I know who it is.

Now, if SOMEONE would just allow Southwest to fly into/out of DFW, the Mansion would be happier, Turtle Creek residents would be happier, and all of us wanting to fly into Dallas from more than two states away would be ecstatic!!

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Actually, you do take-off AND land into the wind and landing/take-off direction depends on where the wind is coming from.