Search

Stockbridge & WmsTown dining & logistics

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockbridge & WmsTown dining & logistics

Hi
Returning to the Berkshires for a July weekend after an absence of 3 or 4 years.
I'd forgotten how hard it is to book a room,and for only two nights.
We found accommodations at the Willows Motel in Williamstown, (choices 1-5 were fully booked), but I want to show my friend some of Lenox and Stockbridge, and we have tickets in S'bridge for the Berks. theatre festival for Sat night.

So, I need some suggestions. We arrive in Wmstown Fri night, would like a suggestion close by (or even in N Adams?) for nice place for dinner.

Saturday, we are going to Lenox early for a Tanglewood open rehearsal. Ideas about where to park, and where to have lunch?

Then we will go to S'bridge, need an idea for where to park and where to have dinner on this long day. We are foodies, if that matters, but of course also enjoy a good burger or sandwich.

Sunday we're spending in Wmstown (the Clark and such) and then heading home. Any brunch or lunch suggestions?

thanks for any suggestions
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:04 AM

You are in for a treat after being away for a while. We had dinner last September at Mezze on Water Street in Williamstown; it was excellent! The city of North Adams has undergone incredible change; just drive around and you'll see a lot of interesting little places to eat, as well as the new Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA).
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Hi Elaine, We were in WmsTown last spring and had dinner at Mezze which had an interesting, diverse menu and the food was delicious. We had a reservation and would recommend it. Do a search on Neal Sanders review of the area from years ago and you will find other recommendations for restaurants. Have a great weekend!
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Hi elaine
Saw your posting on the Europe board, good idea!
OK, we spent last August in the Berkshires, we will be back up there June 21st. We stay in Egremont on the border to NY state. From there you can go to Lennox and Stockbridge easily.
Williamstown is lovely and I would have enjoyed staying there longer, but I did not stay overnight. But I second/third? Mezze, go to the Clark Museum!
Lunch in Williamstown would be the sandwhich shop where the sandwiches are named after actors..sorry, someone else will give you the name
Tanglewood has parking across the street in parking fields.
Stockbridge has parking everywhere so that won't be a problem.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:36 AM

You can get a listing of hotels at www.lenox.org but I would also try Egremont and Great Barrington. For dinner on Saturday, I would recommend Wheatleigh Gardens, www.wheatleigh.com.

Have a wonderful time.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

fodorites come through!
thanks all
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:55 AM

Another thought: there is a store in Pittsfield, on the main road there--the name I cannot remember--but we bought all the "fixings" there for a wonderful gourmet picnic before a performance at Tanglewood, including the wine...perhaps someone can help with the name (it's a person's name).
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:59 AM
OliveOyl

It was probably Guido's Market, on the right side of rte 7 as you are headed toward Lenox from Pittsfield.

There is another tremendous place for lunch near Willimastown with gourmet fixings to go or eat there. It's called the Store at Five Corners, at the intersection of rtes 7 & 43 in Williamstown.

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Yes, it is Guido's; thank you OliveOyl (you grew up in that area, right?)! I've had another thought, and then I will go away; go to The Mount, the recently restored home of Elizabeth Wharton; the first floor is finished, and the gardens are beautiful.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Guidos Market is on #7 coming out of Great Barrington and Egremont.
Also, if you have time to do some antiquing and shopping, all along #7 are antique shops and malls, I can't wait to go back just for that!
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
OliveOyl

Buzzy, yes I did, in fact just down the hill from Guidos. Scarlett there are two Guido's. Same owner, the one on rte 7 was the original.

My all time favorite antique store was one in Egremont called the Splendid Peasant....which I'm afraid is either gone...or perhaps just moved. Their specialty was high end Americana. Wonderful stuff.

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:19 AM
OliveOyl

Oops...the one on rte 7 coming out of Pittsfield was the original...and my Mom's grocery store. It was heaven to shop there and I enjoy grocery shopping about as much as I enjoy cleaning bathrooms!