Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Providence Waterfire tomorrow- where to park, where to eat?

Aug 13th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

We've never been to Waterfire, but have heard how great it is - we've decided to make a last minute trip to see it tomorrow. I know we've waited too late to get dinner reservations at one of the restaurants overlooking the river (I tried one - silly me!) - if we just drive to Providence late tomorrow afternoon, would we have any trouble finding a restaurant to eat at on a walk-in basis within a short walk of the river-walk (doesn't have to be fancy or gourmet, but decent), or would we be nuts to go there without a reservation somewhere? I don't know what's within walking distance to even try getting a reservation - I just don't have any idea how difficult this would be. I also don't know where we should park, so any guidance there would be greatly appreciated. While spontaneous plans can be fun, I don't want to wind up in a situation where we drive a long way and can't find a place to park or a place to eat (and keeping DH happy and relaxed is a goal, too). Thanks for any advice and guidance.
Aug 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM

We were just in that exact area 2 weeks ago; there is a huge shopping mall with an immense parking garage right near the river. There were places to eat there and in the immediate area, have no idea what they are like during the Waterfire.

http://www.providenceplace.com/
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:00 AM

Agree, the parking garage attached to the Westin and Providence Place Mall is probably your only choice. Just remember where you parked.
Try to eat as early as possible. There are several choices on the ground floor of the mall. Cheesecake Factory is always crowded. Federal Hill/Italian restaurants are within walking distance. Dave and Busters (or something like that) in the mall is pretty good. We've been there during the Columbus Day weekend Waterfire. You might have to eat around 5pm if you choose something at the Mall.
Aug 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, DH has come down with a stomach bug, so we're not going today after all. The next Waterfire is on August 28, so if it looks like the weather will be decent that evening. maybe we'll try to go then.
Aug 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

We finally made it to WaterFire tonight, and it was a perfect evening. We ate outside on the patio of Waterplace Restaurant, overlooking the river basin, and had a delicious dinner (also took advantage of their valet parking). We finished dinner just as the fires were being lit, and spent the next two and a half hours wandering up and down the river, enjoying the sights and the beautiful music that accompanied the fires. Tonight was opera night, and at various places along the river there were sopranos stationed (really GOOD ones), occasionally singing arias. The whole event was really cool, and we enjoyed it very much. We discovered that there are various food and drink vendors with stands set up along the route and nearby, so if we go back again sometime, we know there are other options to having dinner reservations, if we want to be more spontaneous.

I have to say, WaterFire is a really neat and unusual event, and I recommend it highly. Of course, the fact that it was a beautiful evening, with perfect temperatures, certainly added to our pleasure.
Aug 29th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Glad to hear back from you. Good to be outdoors during such beautiful weather.
Aug 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
yk

Sara, thanks for reporting back. We'll try to catch one of the remaining ones for this year.