Still searching for Spring Break 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, after hearing my kids out, have switched my search for our March trip. There biggest issue - non stop on a plane and not far!! My criteria is affordable plane fare for 4!

Criteria -
I am thinking that is 4 hours or less from Miami via air.
8 year old would like to see snow but not ski - but thats not so important.
Affordable plane fare.

I was thinking of Memphis or Nashville - never been to either. Would there be enough to fill 4 days?
Any other suggestions welcome!!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Gatlinburg looks great too!!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your kids are NOT paying for the airfare are they?

Gatlinbuirg is a fabulous tourist trap IMO, sorry, but lots of entertainment for the kids
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM

In Memphis or Nashville, seeing snow in March would be rare (though not unheard of). You'd have a little more likelihood in the mountains, but it's still past peak snow season. Tennessee weather, especially this winter, is a crapshoot.

Are you planning to rent a car once you arrive? You almost have to to go to Gatlinburg; it's 45 minutes or so from the Knoxville airport. Memphis and Nashville *can* be done with public transport and shuttles, but it isn't easy, especially with kids and four days to fill. Personally, I think Memphis has enough for 2-3 days, but if you have four full days plus travel time, that would be a stretch for me. Nashville has more day trips, even if you run out of things to do in town - there are fun places in Franklin south of town, and Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is a couple of hours or so from Nashville. I can't think of much that's within daytrip range of Memphis.

When you say "Gatlinburg," do you mean you would stay in Gatlinburg proper? The aquarium is well done, and there are a few neat places in town, but there are also many, many tourist traps (unless airbrush t-shirts are your thing, of course!). Staying in town does mean that you can walk to lots of restaurants, etc. As an alternative, you could get a cabin a little outside of town, if you're more interested in hiking or driving the Cades Cove loop or the like. The down side is having to get in the car to do anything - but to get to the hiking from a Gatlinburg hotel, you'd have to drive anyway. Depending on how outdoorsy y'all are, there could be plenty to do for four days. Or you could just hang out in the cabin and relax, if the kids would want that. Lots of the cabins have hot tubs and game rooms. Pigeon Forge, nearby, also has tons of laser tag, minigolf, and outlet shopping, plus shows like the Dixie Stampede.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Great Smokey Mt. National Park may still have some snow on the north sides in March. Any interest in Dollywood?
As for Memphis-Graceland-Thank you, thank you very much.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Dollywood is actually closed most of March.

http://www.dollywood.com/calendar.aspx
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Eeeks! We don't like touristy air brushed t-shirts!! We have been in an Orlando boycott for almost 4 years!!
Thinking maybe Ashville maybe a better idea. Love the idea of time in GSNP and BR Mountains.
Wonder if that would be fun for the kids.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Ha! If you boycott Orlando, I don't think Gatlinburg would be your style. That doesn't mean, though, that going to the area would be a bad idea. It just depends on whether you want "city" things to do instead of/in addition to a cabin and hiking, etc.

I haven't been to Asheville (it's one of those things I keep meaning to remedy) but I know many people love it. Not sure about attractions for kids, though.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Im all over the map!! Just booked airfare to Costa Rica. No snow - but meets all other criteria and I dont have to worry about being cold!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM

Zipline while you are there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM

I'm also in South Florida and looking to plan a family of four Spring Break trip to the Eastern Tennessee area. I have read on this forum some nice recommendations on cabin rentals in Townsend. I looked into those but only found a reasonable flight from Orlando to Knoxville.

I'm still doing research so nothing is concrete so any input is appreciated too. I know we have to rent a car and hope to venture to the caves, Clingman's Dome, horse back riding, hiking and Smokie Mountain National Park. I think one day would be enough for us in Gatlingurg.

I was thinking 6 days. Any input??
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM

Kristinesonja - I'm not sure what your question is about the airport. Were you thinking that you should try to book a flight to Townsend? Townsend is a tiny town and doesn't have an airport, but is actually only 30 minutes or so from the Knoxville airport (which is technically in Maryville). Easy, easy drive.

Six days will be a lot, but depending on what you and the kids like to do, could be great. There's plenty of hiking and other outdoors things to do. In March the weather can still be iffy - you might have a great week weather-wise, or a terrible one. If your spring break is in April, your chances are better, and things will be a little prettier then. You'll have to get in the car to get anywhere if you stay in a cabin, most likely.