Mid-March Family Trip to Eastern Tennessee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in South Florida and looking to plan a family of four Spring Break trip to the Eastern Tennessee area. I have read on this forum some nice recommendations on cabin rentals in Townsend. They look really nice for my family of four with children 8 and 10yrs. We can'tfind a reasonably priced flight out of West Palm Beach but I did find a great priced flight out of Orlando. We'd make that drive to save $1000.

I'm still doing research so nothing is concrete so any input is appreciated too. Does this sound reasonable: fly into Knoxville, rent a car, rent a cabin in Townsend. I'm hoping this puts us within driving distance of caves, Clingman's Dome, horse back riding, 2 days for hikes and Smokie Mountain National Park, Great SM Arts and Crafts Community. I think one day would be enough for us in touristy Gatlingurg. Don't have interest in Dollywood.

How does this sound? 6 days? Ideas? Input? Mostly excited to show my children from southern Florida the mountains and different turrain. I guess I want to know if I'm staying in the right area for the things we'd like to do.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 03:48 AM

We rented a cabin for four days in Gatlinburg, spent three days in the GSMNP, one day on the Arts & Crafts loop. We walked around Gatlinburg for a couple of hours one evening and that was more than enough.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 04:48 AM

www.mapquest.com

Save lots of money and rental car costs and hassles

and drive up via Atlanta and Cherokee NC over the top

of the Smokies Clingman's Dome then to Gatlinburg

hang a left for Townsend very rural not a lot of there there.

Plenty of great deals on cute little cabins along your route.

Lots more to do in Gatlinburg for kids although touristy.

Might hang a right at Cherokee pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway

for pretty nice driving lots of nicer places to stay...
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Check your dates to see if Dollywood is open.
There's still a chance for snow at that time of year.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Check your dates to see if Dollywood is open.
There's still a chance for snow at that time of year.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM

You might rather approach all this from the eastern side--fly to charlotte or Asheville and drive to Cherokee/GSMNP.
Look for VRBO around Cherokee. The mountains are really lovely there, and on the Indian reservation the children can fish for trout--and actually they can fish for free IN the Park.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Or fly into Atlanta and drive up towards Asheville or Cherokee. That way if the weather is bad (snow) you can do things in the lower mountains without being stuck somewhere).

It's an easy drive from Atlanta to Cherokee.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Six days does sound like a lot of time in and around Townsend, unless y'all are really into outdoor things and/or your kids are easily entertained. I think your plan is certainly feasible, but is really reliant on good weather, which you may or may not have. Townsend itself has very little to do, besides being close to Tuckaleechee Caverns - it's a very small town - and doing indoor things in Gatlinburg can cost you an arm and a leg. (The aquarium is good, though, and kid-friendly.) Starrs and Gretchen make a good point about having more options on the other side of the mountains. Plus you might find better flights into Asheville or Charlotte - Knoxville is a relatively small airport (though very convenient to Townsend), so your flight options are more limited there.

I'm a big fan of the Smokies and Townsend is great for a few days, or if you want a lot of time to relax in a cabin (lots of them have hot tubs, game tables, etc). But with kids that age, I might look into places where you'll have more options than outdoor activities vs. staying in the cabin.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM

If you're not interested in Dollywood or Gatlinburg, eastern Tennessee might not be your best bet. Weather is still iffy in the spring, although it could also be beautiful. I have relatives at Watauga Lake in the Cherokee National Forest a couple of hours from Townsend and wouldn't go there in the spring (March) expecting good weather.

Have you considered Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Blowing Rock and some other small towns in NC? They are a very easy drive from Atlanta, same weather concerns but more to do in case you're stuck inside.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM

"Dollywood is currently closed. Our first day of operation for the 2011 season is Saturday, March 26, 2011." - from Dollywood website.

I live in Knoxville. As others said, the weather is iffy in March. I don't know if you're tied into mid-March, but I would choose later if I could. It does seem a shame with kids 8 and 10 not to visit Dollywood. My 18-year-old college daughter and her boyfriend have season passes already this year. It does have a Smoky Mtn. theme w/shows and rides, etc. As for Gatlinburg, have you looked at Ober Gatlinburg? There is a tramway, an alpine slide, indoor ice skating, etc.

Link: http://www.obergatlinburg.com/activities/

There's a scenic chairlift if you don't do ober gatlinburg.

There are cabins of every kind at every price all over the area. Most of them have hot tubs, pool tables, etc. as others mentioned. We usually stay in Gatlinburg around the Arts and Crafts Community. It's a nice area and close enough to everything.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

So, I did book my flights and rental car and now on to the accomodations. I like vrbo.com and am trying to narrow down the area.
Townsend (1/2 hour drive to destinations), Gatlinburg area or Pigeon Forge area. (I'm not flexible on dates as my children have Spring Break that week.)

Still on my list of things to do: GSMNP visitor canter & hikes, Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove with hikes, Chimmney Tops?,
Arts & Crafts Community, Sevierville Apple Barn Cider Mill & Store, Roaring Fork Nature Trail?, winery?, caverns, one day in Gatlingurg & Ober Gatlinburg, horseback riding? and Laurel Falls.

So...............where should we stay?? There are listings for the 3 areas I'm considering accomodations in. WHich is most appropriate to the attractions I'd like to see?

Thank you
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM

Given your list, you're going to have to drive awhile to at least some things, but most visits to the park involve some long-ish drives. I think I'd stay closer to Gatlinburg than Townsend. With two kids, it just gives you more options if they get bored or if you have bad weather (just walking around Gatlinburg, or there's the aquarium or the sky lift; you're also closer to outlets and laser tag/putt-putt in Pigeon Forge). Gatlinburg area is closer to Chimney Tops, the arts & crafts loop, the Apple Barn (personal opinion: apple fritters are great, the rest of the food is so-so), and the Roaring Fork trail. Laurel Falls is about halfway between Gatlinburg and Townsend. Townsend is definitely closer to Cades Cove, but people make that drive from Gatlinburg all the time. There are a couple of visitor centers, but if I remember correctly, Sugarland is the most popular one and it's very close to Gatlinburg.

The park map on this page will probably be helpful:
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

jent103..............thanks for the great link. Useful maps and info.

Kristine
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Try http://www.vrbo.com/335927. It is in the Arts and Crafts community, many nice shops,minutes from Gatlinburg and easy access to everything. Reasonable rates.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for input, I have it narrowd down to two vrbo.com listings: #322771 in Pigeon Forge (in Smoky Cove) and #322771 in Townsend (Laurel Valley Golf Community).

So, just to decide which is a better location for: GSMNP, Cades Cove, Laurel Falls, Arts & Crafts Communuty, one day in Gatlinburg(visit to Ober Gatlingburg), caverns, hiking, winery.

Which one??
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

oops............Townsend #344471 or Pijeon Forge #322771 on vrbo.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM

I think I stayed in the Laurel Valley area last year. It was convenient to the Cades Cove/Metcalf Bottoms section of the park, and the sign for Tuckaleechee Caverns was very close by (I've never actually been to the caves, so I'm not sure how far a drive it is). Not so convenient for the arts & crafts loop or Gatlinburg, but you're going to have to pick one or the other.

The area is VERY quiet. The town had a Pizza Hut and a few shops... I didn't notice much else. The Townsend visitors' center is close by.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM

We've stayed in Townsend several times and are headed there again this weekend. Of the VRBO listings I would choose Laurel Valley. I am a huge proponent for staying in Townsend.

We usually drive in to Gatlinburg to eat only. We have a 7 year old and he was more than entertained by just being in nature for 8 days when we went to CO in Sept. as well as times in the Smokies when he was younger. I don't think touristy stuff has to factor into a vacation with kids so don't be discouraged by the comments about your kids being bored as long as they are the outdoorsy type.

As for the drives from Townsend, they are all drives with beautiful scenery and therefore very nice.

We'll be visiting Cades Cove and Tuckaleechee Caverns again this trip. Rich Mountain Road is a nice scenic drive. We've done at least half of the waterfall hikes and plan to do Laurel Falls this time. So far we have liked Grotto and Mingo Falls the most.

Here is some info I have on another waterfall in the area:
"Little known waterfall: (9275 Tremont Road Townsend, TN) When you enter the Park from Townsend go to the 'Y' and turn right towards Cades Cove. The Tremont area will come up quick on your left, turn in and go back to the main parking lot and info center on your left. This trail is an easy 2 miles in and 2 back out and is rated easy- mid-moderate The trail does continue on past the falls for about 3/4 of a mile to an old logging road and the top stream which feeds the falls for those who wish to trudge on to explore it."
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

NolaKaty,
Thanks so much for the unknown fall. I did book the Laurel Valley cabin. I'm not worried about finding things to do. I'm pretty sure one day for G'burg and PF will me enough for us.

I"m enjoying reading up on many falls, hikes, etc.I have a stack of library books on my table and am setting the itinerary. Only disappointment is the Clingman's Dome road is still closed. Thanks for your input.
Kristine
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM

One thing you might want to consider is going and taking the kids to The Comedy Barn. I thought it would be so corny, but it is absolutely hilarious family entertainment. Check it out at comedybarn.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -