Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Still debating where to live in NYC. What's the best part of NYC for............

Search

Still debating where to live in NYC. What's the best part of NYC for............

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your opinions, what would be the best part of NYC for a single female in early 30's, outdoorsy, enjoy arts, music, biking, walks, and FOOD. AND the big thing is I have a budget of $1300 to $1400 at the very most.

I was thinking about UWS as in my previous post, however, lately I have been told that the UWS is not a good place for single people but mostly for families with little kids. Any o ther suggestions? I've been on the UES before and didn't care for it.

Cheers,

gtrekker
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM

For that budget, you should take anything you can find that is safe. Manhattan is a small island and whether you live in UWS, Hell's Kitchen, Harlem, or the Lower East Side (or Brooklyn or Jersey City, for that matter), everything is going to be relatively close or convenient
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM

To say that the UWS is mostly for families with kids, is a bit of an exaggeration, IMHO. Plenty of singles live on the UWS, just as plenty of people with kids live elsewhere on the island.

As MikeT suggested, getting around NYC is relatively easy. Finding a place you like and in your budget will be made more difficult if you restrict yourself to one 20 to 20 block area.

BTW, when I was involved in recruiting for a former employer, the way I'd answer this when asked by soon to be college and B-school grads was to say that if you are more into the arts and weren't the fraternity/sororiety type then downtown, very much the frat/preppy/corporate type then the UES, a bit of both then the UWS. Yes, I know these are overstatements but it was intended more to suggest that living where you'd likely go out at night is probably not a bad thing.

As for me, I had lived on both sides of the park and downtown. Eventually, I found the East 50's to my liking as it was as easy to get to the Village as it was to get to the UWS.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM

For arts, music, restaurants and walking nothing beats the village or soho. At your budget it many have to be the east village or lower east side. But those areas are fantastic to walk around in and have a much better choice of restaurants than anywhere else in the city. Definetly skip the UES. The UWS would also be fine, though it would be hard finding something in your price range. Good luck!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 08:18 AM

"BTW, when I was involved in recruiting for a former employer, the way I'd answer this when asked by soon to be college and B-school grads was to say that if you are more into the arts and weren't the fraternity/sororiety type then downtown, very much the frat/preppy/corporate type then the UES, a bit of both then the UWS. Yes, I know these are overstatements but it was intended more to suggest that living where you'd likely go out at night is probably not a bad thing."

Ryan, I too dislike generalities, but with a lot of experience visiting, having a number of friends living in NYC, and spending extended time in the City, I'd say your description above seems right on target (as a generality).
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi again!

I was wondering what the boundaries are considered to be for both East Village and Lower East Side? I lived in Manhattan for 3 years and unfortunately I hardly visited lower Manhattan, not because I didn't want to though!

Thanks for all the advice. This is very helpful!

gtrekker
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM

I would agree with Mike T that you can;t worry too much about exact neighborhood - or which streets are the boundaaries. With that budget - and assuming you want an aprtment in good repair in a safe and secure building - you're going to need to be flexible. (for perepctive, in my middle class - no doorman - building on the UWS a 1 bedroom sublets for at least $2500).
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I would agree with Mike T that you can;t worry too much about exact neighborhood - or which streets are the boundaaries. With that budget - and assuming you want an aprtment in good repair in a safe and secure building - you're going to need to be flexible. (for perepctive, in my middle class - no doorman - building on the UWS a 1 bedroom sublets for at least $2500).

Perhaps you might want to consider Brooklyn - or Riverdale - as other viable options.