first time to No.

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time to No.

Just had an opportunity to go to NO around 6th December/04. After reading info here got the impression that there are some areas less desirable than others. Since I will be travelling with wife and daughter would appreciate knowing what areas are recommended for hotels which areas to visit. We love roaming around and keenly interested in checking out the food ( big time ) and "local' culture including Papa Noel activities. Thanks ,your inputs are greatly appreciated
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM

How old is your daughter? If she's very young and impressionable I'd advise staying at the Hilton Riverside, which is just at the edge of the French Quarter. The hotel is huge and generic, but the location is good and the rooms with river views are nice. It's also very near the aquarium, which is wonderful and might be something you'd like to see with your daughter.

If she's a little older, I'd advise you to stay in the French Quarter at the Royal Sonesta (be sure and get a room overlooking the courtyard/pool rather than Bourbon Street).

Basically speaking, the French Quarter is the best place to stay. Though it has some seedy areas - particularly Bourbon Street - it's really an adventure and is probably one of the most heavily policed areas in the country. Don't expect to see uniforms on every corner; there are LOTS of undercover cops.

The French Quarter is FILLED with wonderful restaurants and great people-watching and shops, too. My children are grown and married now, but we took them to NO several times when they were young and they still remember it fondly.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is in her 20's but still very impressionable as am I Thanks for the suggestions they are very much appreciated
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Four of us 50-something ladies recently visited and had a wonderful time. The New Orleans School of Cooking was probably my favorite activity. The food was good and the cooking lessons were very entertaining. You are seated restaurant style and it's fun to chat with your table mates. We walked Bourbon Steet at night. It was crowded and people were mostly having silly fun. It's easy to avoid. I had been forewarned that the streets were dirty but didn't find that to be true. The old streets are a little grimy but similar to Boston's. You will find some shops that are plainly tourist traps but many more, esp on Royale Street, that are filled with art and antiques. We did not feel unsafe at any time even though our hotel was several blocks away. I think we may have encountered some volunteer greeters one evening and it always seemed like police were always nearby. I loved the street performers. It's a city I want to visit again.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Be sure to include some time to browse the shops on Royal Street in the FQ. Great art, jewelry, antiques. Decatur Street has a few great bars--Kerry Irish Pub usually has terrific entertainment. Coops is on the extreme north end of Decatur in the "quiet" part of the Quarter, they serve a mean jambalya and gumbo. Choose a late lunch at Johnny's Po'Boys(avoiding the crowds); their sandwiches are wonderful. You're arriving on a Monday, so try to catch a brass band set at Donna's Bar & Grill on N. Rampart Street. If you lodge in the Quarter, roberty, all these places are walking distance from any hotel. Hope your visit is joyful.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Stay in a hotel in the French Quarter and you will be fine. We heard lots of warnings about crime and safety before our trip to NO, but we never felt unsafe while we were there. As long as you take the precautions you would in any city, you will be fine. There are some bad neighborhoods in NO like any place else, but the city has a vested interest in keeping the tourists safe The FQ is policed very well. I think that as the night progresses and the partiers get drunker and drunker, things get crazier, but we stayed out until about midnight every night we were there and never saw anything too crazy.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Be sure to check out the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel. It is decorated for the Christmas season and is open for public viewing. Very nice!