Walk to Sugar Bowl from French Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think about walking from our hotel in the French Quarter to the Superdome for the Sugar Bowl game? The distance doesn't look too bad (I walk about three miles every morning anyway) but I wonder about the traffic, etc. We'd be in a large group, and I have to think other fans will be walking. It seems much easier than driving and finding a parking place. I heard the Hyatt has a pedistrian bridge to the Superdome? Where is the Hyatt? Can we just walk up Poydras? We are staying at Hotel St. Marie.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Dan

It will be very crowded in the French Quarter and Central Business District on that particular night. While I'd normally suggest a cab from the FQ to the Dome, it's an easy walk (10-15 blocks) and you'll be totally safe. Just walk over to Poydras and turn right. You don't need to fool with the Hyatt's "bridge."
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:51 PM

It's been a while since I've been to New Orleans (13 years), but I do remember someone at the hotel telling me not to walk from the French Quarter to the Superdome because there were some bad neighborhoods on the way. We took a cab.

Maybe it's changed since then, I don't know.

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Normally I would recommend taking a cab because of the neighborhood, but there will probably be large crowds walking around the area and you will also be with a large group so you may be OK ... just scope it out at the time ... there's usually safety in numbers.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:54 PM

I just returned a few days ago, and there was a some big game going on at the dome??? The streets were busy- so I would also suggest- walking over to Poydras and turning right- this street is busier with traffic. I wouldn't cross higher than Elk though.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 03:00 PM

I'd cab it. I'm from there. A missed turn or two could put you in a place you don't want to be.