Steamed Crabs Outside Baltimore??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, more for my fiancee than myself this time. The craving for steamed crabs has struck. We got steamed blue crabs at Obrycki's back in the fall and she loved them. Last night she began telling me how much she'd like to back next weekend, except she wants to try them with the Old Bay seasoning and knows it may be crazy in Baltimore with the Preakness.

I pointed out that there are other spots along the Chesapeake besides Baltimore which MAY be fun for a short visit and may also have a great crab house. But, I am not certain of that.

Any suggestions? A non-Baltimore place along the bay where we could enjoy a day visit and have some great steamed crabs? We'd probably stay over for the night, too, if possible. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM

St. Michael's?
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM

sorry..probably without an apostrophe
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
LN

Hi

There's a great place in Annapolis called Mike's on the South River and they use the Old Bay recipe and another good place would be Harris's Crab House at Kent Narrows (the other side of the Bay Bridge). Used to be that Bo Brooks in Baltimore had good crabs but I'm not as familiar with B-more's crab houses anymore.

These two will satisfy you though.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I was so glad to see responses coming in so quickly. I'll be working on this tonight and checking in on the forum, so hopefully we'll get a good final decision put in place. Thanks again for these suggestions and any others that are yet to be shared.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I grew up right across the river from Mike's in Annapolis, and it is a good bet, especially in nice weather when you can sit outside on the deck overlooking the water.

Another popular crab place in Annapolis is Cantler's, also on the water. http://www.cantlers.com

Old May 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Cantler's in Annapolis, but get directions, it can be hard to find.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Bo Brooks is still in Baltimore, but it moved from it's old building on Belair Road to much fancier digs on the water in Canton, on Boston Street. I've heard good things about both Cantler's and Harris's.

If you're not concerned much about atmosphere, another place that's well liked, and very accessible, is Gunning's, which is on Dorsey Road near Route 100 and US 295 in Hanover - a few miles south of Baltimore.

Shandy, be warned, though - I ate at Obrycki's on Thursday, and the crabs ran from $45 to $87 a dozen, and from what I hear they're not likely to come down much this year.
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Yeah. I actually went to Obrycki's a week ago and saw the prices. Definitely a treat to be enjoyed on a rare occasion. I was satisfied myself, but the fiancee is craving them now to the point where she says it would be her treat. How can I refuse! Thanks again!
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM

A few Natty Boh's will take the sting out of it!
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
LN

Crabs have been running high the past couple years. Of all the places mentioned you'll probably spend about that at any of them.

I've always loved O'Bryckie's with their black pepper seasoning, but I also like Mike's and Harris's. Bo Brooks has mantained good crabs for years but I've tried Gunning's a couple times and gave up. I don't go back after 3 times.

Cantlers is good - and I can give directions if you choose.

But just remember - we're really NOT into big crab season yet - that actually occurs later in August. Crabs right now are just coming out of their winter nesting places in the mud.