BEWARE- MD Cheaspeake Bay Bridge Backups

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Commuters over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge have experienced exteremly long commutes due to the closing of the right-hand lane of the eastbound span. Nearly three weeks ago, in an accident about as common as the coming of Halley's Comet, an eighteen-wheeler plunged through the jersey-wall barrier and ended up in the Bay. Although the state engineers have declared the barrier safe, re-bar has been found in the jersey-wall with rust. In a case of bureaucratic overreaction, the Maryland Transportation Authority has closed the right-hand lane to put up reinforcement bars on the jersey-wall. The Governor of Maryland, who not only considers himself presidential material but an aspiring rock and roll musician, is nowhere to be found. The delay crossing the Bay Bridge was 4 hours last night and it is expected to be worse tonight and Saturday.

To get to the Shore from DC and Baltimore I would advise taking 95 North to Elkton and take Maryland 213 South or Delaware 896 or 1 South.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Wow. Coming from CT, where the bridge collapsed and alot of people died, I'm actually grateful that they're being on the cautious side here..... The one thing I think that whoever does all the road work in DC/MD/VA does well is communicate. This has been on the radio, TV, newspapers - so everyone in this area knows what is going on. It think it is great that GeorgeW (Maybe Bush??? put this on here, because if anyone is coming through this way, they might be surprised to hit such crazy traffic (even worse than usual).... and if there are alternate routes - you might want to consider them...
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

We are talking about a jersey-wall that gave way when an 18-wheel truck crashed into it going 60 MPH with 70,000 pounds of chickens as cargo. The bridge span itself is in good shape and not ready for collapse.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM

George W

I'm not from the area but have crossed the bridge several times. I don't recall any good alternate route. Do you know of one you can post for the other readers?

That must have been some pot of chicken soup!!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM

I'm sure that the price of eggs will go up!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

From Washington, I took Route 95 north to Elkton, Maryland. At Elkton, I took route 213 South to my Queen Anne's County home. People going to the Shore from the West should take this route.