Stay in NYC or Newark

Search

Stay in NYC or Newark

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in NYC or Newark

For a 3-day trip to NYC, is it best to stay in Newark and hop on the monorail every day or stay right in the city? I know the hotel will be more expensive and not as nice in the city, but thinking it may be worth it to have a great location? Or is it easy to go back and forth Newark?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM

It's not worth it. Stay in the city. There are less expensive hotels if you search this forum. There are Holiday Inns, Comfort Inns, Residence Inns, major chains here.

You don't want to commute on NJ Transit. It's just not the same.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM

IMHO, absolutely stay in Manhattan. We like being able to walk to restaurants and to come back to our hotel in the late afternoon for a brief rest before going out for the evening.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM

There is no monorail into the city. Not sure if you mean PATH or NJ Transit - but either one doesn;t run that often later in the evening - so you may find it takes quite a while to get back to your hotel after dinner or a show or whatever.

Also - why waste an hour of your day trekking to and from.

Finally, with a hotle in the city you can easily go back to your room, to drop off shopping, test a rest or shower and change before going out for the evening.

Newark is NOT Manhatten - a completely different atmosphere.

If you tell us how many you are, when you're coming and your budget people cam make specific hotel recos.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I agree with all above - stay in the city!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
J62

There is an AirTrain that circles Newark Airport - looks somewhat like a monorail so that may be what khedge is talking about.

The other posters above have it right - you are going to visit NYC, stay in NYC. I find that with all the walking I do when I visit NYC I really like to head back to my hotel for an afternoon rest, before heading back out for the evening refreshed.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Newark is not really that close to Manhattan, nor is the airport if that's what you are talking about. And transportation from EWR hotels into the city is quite expensive (12+ per person each way) so keep that in mind. There are some phenomenally cheap hotels in Queens that are close to NYC subway stops and half the distance as Newark, so for my that's always a better option if you simply cannot afford Manhattan.take a look at Country Inn and Suites in LIC which is sometimes under $100 per night and relatively new, though in a desolate, uninviting neighborhood, albeit very close to the subway and Manhattan.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Stay in the city--Newark is the armpit of the world,i worked there for 4 years.Jersey city or hoboken would be better, but if you go to NYC alot of the experience is being there and wandering the streets late at night,which you cant do, safely in NJ