Status of I-95 from VA - MA

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Status of I-95 from VA - MA

I'm finding a difficult time getting accurate road conditions reports from the various state DOTs and was wondering if any locals can give me some conditions? We have tractor trailers which normally head out of Virginia on Sunday afternoon, with Philly, NYC and Boston as destinations. Any advice or warnings or websites that could help me out? Many thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:49 AM

Major highways are clear throughout MD however winds are fierce and will affect bridge crossings like Key Bridge. Not sure if you use tunnels or bridge depending on your load. All will be fine tomorrow.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM

I think you have an interesting question. I found that I-95 has it's own web site! See below.

http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and I95 link - very cool, but unfortunately takes you to Weather.com links for weather and no road conditions. But what a neat site - who would have thought?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM

Who's "we"? And how time-sensitive are your loads? In general, truck drivers know the road conditions the best. I was one for 3 years. I listened to what other truckers were commenting about conditions on the CB radio, I looked at the road myself, and I looked for tractor-trailers in the ditches.

Also depends on the load. A heavy truck has much better traction than an empty.

A good driver will use all the information and make his/her own decision. Let them decide, and don't force them to get on the road if they're not comfortable. That's all you should be doing. If they think the roads are okay, then it should be up to them.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Very good advice - thank you. We transport very time sensitive freight and we wanted to make sure we aren't putting any undue pressure on our drivers.

Thanks again
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM

20 miles north of Boston it has just now stopped snowing. Still quite windy, so plows have not been able to keep things clear - snow keeps blowing back.

Live news cameras showing major highways, including I95/Rte 128 show it is still snow covered in parts and short a lane or 2 in spots. Still some disabled cars. Now that it has stopped snowing, everyone has thought of 10 essential places they must go, so traffic reports are now filled with accidents - which they were not several hours ago.

Almost every school in Eastern MA is closed tomorrow. All this said, past experience leads me to believe I95 will be passable by this evening - unless more snow backs in off ocean, which is certainly possible.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM

washington beltway is no problem -- but there might be slippery spots tonight.