Statue of Liberty tickets.

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statue of Liberty tickets.

Was working on a possible trip to NYC, about 10 days ago. A friends father passed away suddenly I got sidetracked from working on the logistics of the trip. I was trying to help the family in anyway that I could. Getting back to working out the logistics of the trip and I have checked availability for crown access tickets. You guessed it, there're not available anymore. My question, once the tickets are gone, it that it, or is there any hope some tickets will become available? I have called but all that I get is recorded message, I have not been able to get a live person on the phone.

The last week or two has been very upsetting, can fodorites please let me know if I'm boomed or if there is some hope?
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM

I think they are pretty much gone at this point.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM

If there are none from either the NYC or NJ side during the time you're here, I wouldn't think you'd get any. For YEARS people visited the statue without being able to go to the crown. If you're coming in the next month, I frankly think you're lucky if they're sold out. I can't imagine schlepping up those steps in this heat. UGH.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Truly, the Statue is best seen from the outside.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not recommend climbing up to the crown during the summer heat.Go to the top of the base and you can look up the inside of the statue from there.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, clearly I'm out of luck. I have been to NYC several times and have seen the Statue from the base. Never been to the crown. Althought I can't do this on my upcoming trip to NYC, what is the crown like? How strenous is the climb? What's the view like?
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM

If you just want to see the SOL, take the Staten Island Ferry, it's free, runs 24hrs a day and the view is spectacular. I was at Battery Park on Saturday and there was a sign up that said "tickets for today are sold out" and it looked like the sign had been up for a long time.

YOu can check back to see if tickets become available, or check once you get here, but honestly, it's the view OF the statue that's the best, not the view FROM.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM

I've been to the Crown and can barely say it was worth the hike up. The view is not that great....you're not missing much if you've been to the Pedestal
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Once inside the statue, you climb about 12 stories of spiral stairs to reach the crown. Only few people at a time can fit in the crown, so depending on the number of people climbing, you may be stuck waiting on the spiral stairs for your turn in the crown. Most people I know who have made the climb have found it to be an anticlimax.

Here's a video that gives a clear idea of what to expect:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/0...ml#cnnSTCVideo
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM

The climb is quite strenuous and you have someone's ass in your face the entire way up. It's a metal spiral staircase - open below and above. IMHO - it is not worth the effort - I think seeing the SoL from the ferry on the way to Ellis Island (which is brilliant) is enough.

Have you tried getting tickets from Jersey rather than Manhattan? That's the only possible option I can think of - but it would be a trek.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody.

ellenem, thanks for the link.

nytraveler, I did check for tickets from Jersey too before I started this post, they're gone also.