COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Blood Brothers - the musical

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Eric

Blood Brothers - the musical

Has anyone seen Blood Brothers in London? I just bought tickets for this show and would like to know if anyone liked it. Thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Duh

Why didn't you ask before you bought the tickets?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Statia

I saw it in NYC a few years back with Carole King. It was great then.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:25 PM
janis

Eric - it is a big, well done, dramatic, emotional musical that has been running for over 10 years. However - it is not a show for which you need to purchase tickets ahead of time. It is always (well 95% of the time) available at the 1/2 price TKTS booth.

You will enjoy it - but you probably paid too much for the tickets

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:30 PM
bsaint

Saw it in London this Feb. Very entertaining...the story is a little hokey, but hey, you're in London, you're at the theatre...enjoy.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:45 AM
elaine

I saw it in New York and truly hated everything about it and found that the best part for me was when it was over.
Like when the dentist stops drilling. To each his/her own.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Dawn

My husband and I saw this play in London 2years ago and really enjoyed it. My husband had always been anti-theatre and it was like pulling teeth to get him to go. But he still talks about it. We got 1/2 price tickets at the booth in Leichester Square.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Mary J

Saw this play in London a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. At times it is a strong and raw, emotional story but depending on who might have the female lead (mother), it is wonderful, voices, songs, story but again it is not a light story by any means. But certainly well worth while and it does stick with you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. MJ

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:10 PM
carolyn

My daughter and I both really liked Blood Brothers. And I agree that it sticks with you, more so than any other I've ever seen, I believe.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Hello

Blood Brothers was the GREATEST musical I have ever seen. The standing ovation lasted almost 10 minutes.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:06 PM
xx

10 minute standing ovation! In London? Hardly think so. Standing ovations really aren't done much in London. In point of, fact you can usually pick out the American tourists because they all jump to their feet the second the curtain falls.

Not to say Blood Brothers isn't a fine musical - it really is.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Myer

We were in London mid-May and bought tickets to Blood Brothers at TKTS in Leicester Sq. Our daughter saw it previously and said she never cried so much at a show. It was great!!

The story line is quite heavy. The music grows on you very quickly. The mother and narrator were excellent.

This is a very low budget show. The milkman becomes the doctor. The brothers play themselves as children only wear shorts to give the appearance of being children.

The theatre is very, very small. There is no orchestra pit so they were placed on the 2nd story of the house. I was a bit concerned when we bought the tickets; 5th row, 1st balcony. I was wrong. Due to the size of the theatre, we felt we were almost on the stage.

Can't recommend this show more. It was great!!!

We also saw MFL (bought tickets direct from theatre before leaving US). It was very good and what was expected of a well-known, big budget, lavish musical with a dozen or so well-known songs.

Blood Brothers on the other hand was unknown to us (despite being in London for app. 13 years) except for daughter's recommendation. Pleasant surprise.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Sandy

Daughter and I saw BB in London in '86, got tickets at the 1/2 price ticket booth back then . . . OK musical, good but not great. We enjoyed it but we would have enjoyed anything as we were "in London!"

We went to a play every night, whatever we could get at the 1/2 price place. We enjoyed everything we saw. After you see BB, be sure to return to the 1/2 price place and get tickets to something every day, a wonderful treat.