COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kind of a silly question about transatlantic flight paths

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Mike

Ok, sort of a travel-related question...
About 6 hours or so (I think) into a recent flight from Rome to Philadelphia, our plane skirted an extremely rocky and icy piece of land. You could see lots of icebergs floating offshore, and what looked like glaciers moving through rocky terrain as far to the North as the eye could see. No visible signs of civilization.

Was this the southern part of Iceland or Greenland, by chance? Any ideas?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Sue

I believe a pilot pointed out Greenland on a trip from LGW to PIT; looked almost like a "moonscape".

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:47 PM
db

Probably Iceland, you wouldn't go far enough north to see Greenland from Rome.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Stu

Probably the Baffin Bay/Baffin Island region. Looking at a globe, it is very far north, to the west of Greenland and north of Hudson Bay. I always find it an interesting landscape to observe from 7 miles up.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Danna

we weren't flying from to Rome but did go over Greenland and then northern Canada, I have to admit that the sight of rocky, ice covered lands and then ice covered sea that was birthing iceburgs was alittle disconcerting. I first saw Greenland when I was a teen and thought it was cool. As a middle aged person, the trip over the tundra did make me a little nervous.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Bill

Flying the polar route detroit to Bejiing, we passed over (according to the stewardess) a point within 30 miles of the north pole - depending on the route taken that day. Never mind alternate landing fields and never mind using the seat cushion....beautiful sight,though

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Uncle Sam

On numerous return daytime flights back from Europe we have seen Greenland. It is white for as far as the eye can see. An incredible sight!

US