Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Starting another thread about registration...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...since I couldn't post against the other one. Anyway, this is what I was gonna say:

The problem is with the programming. We're sending requests to the server to write these messages via little programs called Java servlets (indicated by the .jsp extension in the address). Somehow they have not scripted these servlets right. It's not an easy job but you would think they'd have this thing fully functional before rolling it out. One of the worst software changes I've seen in awhile.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:16 AM
mj

JungleCat,
Actually part of their problem is how they serve the form based on your browser. I don't envy Fodor's IT staff as I've BTDT trying to get javascripts to work properly with the various browser incantations. And faulting Fodor's IT staff is the wrong approach.

To reference/prove the point, I've had none of the problems others have complained of and I use Mozilla 1.3a and IE6. Further, I didn't have to change settings/preferences in either browser to have them work - and I run with almost bullet proof security.

I submit that a little time taken to learn about browser settings will most likely eliminate many of the problem(s).
My $0.02
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Jen

I concur with mj-- it must have to do with your browser and/or the browser settings. I've had absolutely no problems reading, posting or getting to the next 50 messages... all things people have complained about. I'm on MS Explorer 6, btw.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I think you're confusing JavaScript with Java Servlets but your point is taken. Either way, I think we should blame Bill Gates. I don't have a specific accusation but it always leads back to THE MAN.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:27 PM
peg

Second laying the blame on Bill Gates.