Reload this Page >

NYC Antique / Vintage Shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:53 AM
David

Taking a small group to NYC in the spring to do some antique shopping. Obviously we will hit the 26th St. Market and the Garage, but I would like to take them downtown too. Most group members have small shops or do antique shows so they re looking for items to re-sell - can any one make some suggestions for small vintage type shops for me to take them to? Although they are beautiful, we are not really interested in the higher-end shops. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can make.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:17 AM
xxx

The Chelsea Flea Market on the weekends might interest your group.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:29 AM

I have never been to the Chelsea Market, is it both Saturdays & Sundays? What street is it on? Sounds like it could be fun!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:42 AM
tommy

My suggestions are for if you are really feeling adventurous, as they are definitely off the beaten tourist path.

The first is in the South Bronx, just over the Third Ave. Bridge from Manhattan. There is a stretch of shops on Bruckner Blvd. at Alexander Ave. There is also an ABC Carpet and Home Store outlet nearby.

The second is in Brooklyn on Atlantic Ave. between Smith and 3rd Aves. Again, a series of small shops clustered together on this stretch.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:44 AM
xxx

the 26th street market is in Chelsea, hence "chelsea Flea Market"

The actual place called Chelsea Market is a gourmet food complex, on 9th/10th avenues at 15th street

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:08 AM
David

Sorry, I thought you were talking about something different; I had mentioned that we would be at the 26th street market and then xxx suggested the Chelsea Market I didn't realize they were the same thing.

Anyway the "off the beaten path" suggestions sound like possibilities.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Flynn

David, there's an outdoor flea market in SoHo on weekends, in a parking lot similar to 26th Street. It's on Grand and Canal Streets. The vendors have both new and vintage stuff and although it's not as diverse as 26th Street, there are enough collectibles.

Mood Indigo on Prince Street in SoHo is an interesting collectibles shop that carries bakelite jewelry, pottery, Fiesta dishes, etc.

Depression Modern on Sullivan Street in SoHo deals in 30s-40s furniture and on the weekends the basement opens up and there's lots of good assorted stuff there.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Caitlin

When you go to the 26th St market, get there as early as you possibly can - if your group is really looking for things to resell, I'd recommend arriving no later than 7 a.m. The shoppers looking for the good stuff to resell swoop in really early, and if you get there later, the best things will be long gone.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM
David

Flynn, excellent suggestions, thank you!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:15 PM
katie

Just bought an Art Deco bar at Depression Modern! They have some wonderful things!

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topping for Beverly
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:05 PM

there is also another OUTDOOR flea market filled with antiques and junk in a schoolyard at Columbus and 77th ( at least I think that is the cross street)--

You cannot miss it from the street and it usually has neat cheap antiques- like smalls- ie. sterling etc....
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Andy, What day is the 77th St. market open?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:07 AM

The Columbus Ave & 77th St Mkt is open on Sundays
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Margie- The 77th and Columbus Ave Mkt is open on SUNDAYS-- GET there early as it gets mobbed with locals!!

It is a fun market and then you can do brunch at any number of Columbus Ave restaurants on the preceding streets-- In the Spring ( which is when we go to NY and in the Fall) the restaurants have tons of OUTDOOR seating-so it is also a good place for a breather to people watch after you have purchased your goodies!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I've been told that the best deals at the Chelsea Flea Market are to be had early in the morning. The serious buyers show up before the crowds do.

Although many of the other suggestions are good in terms of quality, the prices at many of these stores would not be conducive to dealers seeking to bring something back for resale. For the most part, you'll be paying top dollar -- even on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn and especially in SoHo, on East 60th Street or East 12th Street. This is New York City, after all.