Search

Market?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Carol

Market?

Does anyone know the exact location of a covered "market" not too far from Times Square
Lots of tables and vendors with everything from knockoffs to NYC souvenir merchandise. I have happened upon it in the past.......but cannot remember exactly where it is.
Carol

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:50 PM
hope

There is a street fair/market on the weekend at Time Square. The items offered include, clothes, souveniers, crepes, sausage sandwiches, and more.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM
George

26th St Flea Market is in Chelsea at 26th & 6th Ave on Sundays.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:58 PM
nyer

There was such a covered area a couple years ago in a building on 42nd street at 5th avenue--2 avenues off Times Square. The building is shuttered now and looks as if it may be torn down.

While ther is no regular street fair at Times Square as "hope" suggests, there are fairs in 1 or 2 Manhattan neghborhoods every single weekend. Look at the nyc tourist website for a listing (usually under "major events"
at either www.nycvisit.com or www.nyc.gov)
Or, you could go down to Canal street which has what you seem to be looking for at the best prices and largest selection at all times.
(the Chelsea market George mentions is great, but is a collectibles / antiques market)

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Carol

There was such a covered area a couple years ago in a building on 42nd street at 5th avenue--2 avenues off Times Square. The building is shuttered now and looks as if it may be torn down.

That's the one I was remembering.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Carol

Can you enlighten me as to where to go on Canal? We will be staying in the Times Square area. Which subway and which stop? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:30 PM
suzanne

Carol-
Just about every north/south subway line in Manhattan has a Canal Street stop (1,9,A,C,E,N,R,6). The strip between 6th Avenue and the Bowery (the central 1/3 of Canal Street, if you look on a map) is where the shopping is located. The western part of the strip is where the knockoff watches, purses, etc. are sold; the eastern part of the strip is where jewelry (real) is sold, for very good prices. Have fun!