Reload this Page >

Hot fudge sundae in NYC?

Search

Hot fudge sundae in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Stacy

Hot fudge sundae in NYC?

Where can one get a really good hot fudge sundae in Manhattan?

Thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:39 PM
54th and Madison

SERINDIPITY!!!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
CorrectAddress

That's Serendipity at 225 E. 60th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:03 PM
kc

Another vote for Serendipity

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:11 PM
lisa

Another choice -- Googie's, 2nd Ave at 78th.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Jan

I'm a hot fudge sundae connoisseur and I don't like tourist traps.....but I must say that the HFS's at Serendipity are especially good.
Worth a little side trip IMO.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:12 PM
duh!

Mac's House of Steak, located at the golden arches. mmmmmm. Surf & Turf for under $5. mmm mmm mmmmmmmm! Would u like fries with that?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:19 PM
oooooo

Was that supposed to be humorous, 'duh'?
It came off as stupid, not funny.
It wasn't sarcastic, it wasn't ingenious, just stupid.
Your parents must be so proud.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Statia

Here's another vote for Serendipity...and they have lots of other fabulous desserts, too!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:44 AM
NYGirl

I would like to mention that Serendipity is not always considered a "tourist trap".
We often go there in the late afternoon for tea.They have good Earl Grey tea,served in little pots and toast made from their delicious toasted Irish soda bread.
They also make good lunches, during the week,we stop in for a bite,I like the chicken sandwich.
The best times to go are the odd hours when "tourists" might not be thronging in, late or early are better times.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:55 AM
jan

NYGirl:
I think my impression of Serendipity as a 'tourist trap' was because I went for the first time soon after the Cusack/Beckinsale movie of the same name, which created long lines and such.
Much of that seems to have died down, though the place is still popular and crowded (since it's so tiny).

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Michelle

Yet another vote for Serendipity! I personally am a fan of their frozen hot chocolate. Yumm... now I'm craving that.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Stacy

Well it sure seems Serendipity gets the blue ribbon!! I've heard of it but have never been (I heard there can be a long wait...) so will definitely be indulging there.

And thanks for the Googie's suggestion too - I love to try places that are less well known.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:05 PM
NYGirl

jan-that most certainly was a good reason to see Serendipity as touristy!
We have gone there for so many years, and I swear! the Frozen Hot Chocolates are still as good as the first one I ever had!
My kids used to always have their birthday parties there, the waiters used to really get into it with us
It is much more popular and busy than before but really a great place to try at least once

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:14 PM
suzanne

OK, you guys are all killing me. I've never been to Serendipity (I hate crowds) but now I think I have to try it. When's the best time to go on a weekend if I want to avoid the crowd? Do you have to sit inside or can you do a "take out" sundae?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:30 PM
NYgirl

It is a small restaurant,they have an upstairs,but the downstairs is the part that most people like the best.you will see neighborhood people,tourists,celebs,the waiters are usually a hoot and the owner is usually there keeping an eye on things.He is interesting, been there for a long time, writes books, can be charming and interesting if he has time
They have a wacky and yummy menu.
They make great desserts.They also make chili and hot dogs!
We like going in the late afternoon, 3-ish or late late, after dinner and dessert crowds.During the summer, you might try a Sunday lunchtime.Call ahead if you want and just ask how crowded they are, they will tell you if you should wait.
Enjoy~