Search

Search problems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search problems

I'm not sure if it's my browser (IE 6.00), but I can no longer see or use the search box. It's kind of squashed between the Fodor's banner and the threads part of the page.

I've tried using the search all forums box right at the top of the page, but when I try and post a reply it keeps logging me out.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it please?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM

I have more of those types of problems on Fodors than on any other site I use! I'm not having the problem right now, but I did have it recently. At that time, the problem seemed to be that my antivirus/internet security software was not allowing my computer to accept cookies, or my firewall was interfering somehow.

I tried everything and somehow found a combination that worked, but I am extremely embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure which of the many steps I took eliminated the problem.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I just wanted you to know you have my deepest sympathy. Hopefully, some knowledgeable soul like Robespierre will eventually find this thread and be able to offer some more helpful advice.

Ah, but one thing I always try to start with before muddling around too much, is to reboot my computer. I swear that fixes whatever problems I'm having at least 80% of the time.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying Mary Fran. I switch off my pc every night and I've had this problem for weeks now, so rebooting isn't the answer.

I'm not sure that it's an antivirus/security problem either, because I have no problems replying to messages that I click on from the list of recent messages down the lefthand side of the screen. It's just ones that I've found by doing a search that log me off as soon as I try and reply.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:52 AM
ira

Hi X,

I just tried searching this forum using both IE and firefox.

I don't have your problem.

Is this the only place it happens?

Try setting up another account, and see if that works.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Like Mary Fran says, a reboot usually solves little problems. But sometimes you must also turn off your copmputer and unplug it for a minute. If it is a laptop remove the battery also.

Another option is to download Firefox. It is safer and more stable than Internet Exploiter. After you download and install Firefox you can use either browser. They don't affect each other.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM
J62

Fodors.com is fully indexed by google, which is a much better search engine

simply do a google search using the text

"bahamas hotel messages site:fodors.com"

and you'll pull up a list of all message threads that contain the words bahamas and hotel.