Cilento/Amalfi/Sorrento??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to work out a general plan for a week-long trip to these areas and would love to have some advice from those with experience.

Right now, one option sems to be to pick up a car on arrival at Naples airport and drive to the Cilento. The website of a lovely looking hotel in Castellabate (Albergo Castello) says that the trip takes an hour and a half. Does this sound right?
Do not want to do any complicated or difficult driving right after the flights from the US.

Since I would like to go in April, before the high rates kick in on the Amalfi coast/Sorrento, I am wondering if anyone has been to Castellabate or nearby at this time of year. I imagine the resort hotels are still closed but will I find the entire town shut tight?

The website from this hotel says that Castellabate is 20 minutes from Paestum. Sound right?

I am thinking something like:

1.Arrival in Naples, rent car and drive to Castellabate
2. Paestum/Cilento touring. Visit to mozzarella farm.
3. Drive to Amalfi. Possible stop in Salereno and in Vietri. Sleep Amalfi.
4. Amalfi area. Sleep Amalfi.
5. Drive to Sorrento. Return car in Sorrento. Sleep Sorrento.
6. Train to Pompeii. Sleep Sorrento
7. Sorrento...possible bus/ferry trip
8. Car service to Naples airport for flight back to US via Rome/Milan

Alternatively I could add a day in Amalfi or the Paestum area and arrive a day later in Sorrento..
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done Naples to Castellabate several times. 1.5 to 2 hours is about right. The autostrada takes yu down to battipaglia where you turn off through Paestum and Agropli.

The speed limit on this road is mostly 50kph, but in my experience nobody drives much below 80. I would have guessed Paestum is closer to 30 minutes than 20, but still not a long way.

April is a very pleasant time of the year visit, the town is certainly not shut.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Wilit that is good news. Would you mind sharing a bit about your visits there..do you know the hotel I mentioned?

http://www.hotelcastello.co.uk/index-2.html

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM

I am trying to post...
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM

ahh..ok..try Naples for a night..wonderful, earthy and a couple of museums worth a stop
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM

ekscrunchy - I don't know the hotel in question - it is up on the hill in the "main" Castellabate.

I tend to stay in San Marco di Castellabate - the harbour and fishing port just below the hill. I also use a cheap , basic holiday apartment rather than a hotel.

It is an area of Italy I particularly like - relatively quiet, but very pleasant. Some good walking, lovely scenary, some good restaurants -

My favourite is Bellavista in San Marco - very often a one man operation - he is receptionist, cook, waiter and wash up person. The menu is quite small, and often items are not available because the ingredients hadn't been caught that morning. It is not trendy or posh, but the food is normally excellent.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Willit. I will do some investigating and come back with more questions, I am sure. You have been very helpful.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a shuttle bus from Sorrento to the airport.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM

While I have 10 minutes, and rereading your OP, some disjointed thoughts.

The road from Battipaglia to Agrigento appeared to have several Mozzarella farms (The first time I saw a buffalo on the side of the road, I thought I was seeing things).

Although Castellabate looks close to Santa Maria/San Marco (and is as the crow flys), the road up to it is quite long, and has multiple switchbacks and I think is about five kilometres.

If your hotel is at the top of the hill, I would guess that the "20 minute walk" to Santa Maria might be optimistic - there is a footpath down the hill, but it is very steep. There is also a regular bus service should you not wish to have to find parking.

Paestum is possibly a little disappointing in comparison to Pompeii and Herculaneum, with the obvious exception of the three temples. The museum is excellent, and I would recommend the combined ticket.

Driving down the coast south of Castellabate is quite rewarding - and you can also see the greek ruins at Velia.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Marvelous information..yet again.

Willit: Do you think I would be better off looking for a hotel on the sea rather than up in Castellabate itself? We like to be able to stroll around in the evening, looking at shops (?), reading menus, etc etc. I know that perhaps there is no "right" answer..it helps just to get an idea of what these places are like since info seems to be a little scarce.

Just the idea of driving around in a pretty area of Italy where good food is easy to find sounds like a good time to me! And quite a contrast with the Amalfi coast/Sorrento area, it would appear. I keep reading that the cilento is "what the Amalfi coast was like years ago, before it got spoiled...."

I had considered lodging at the Seliano agriturismo nearer to Paestum, but read some fairly unappealing comments on TripAdvisor. Hence, Castellabate, which sounds lovely.

One more question: Would it be zany to visit Paestum on the way from Cilento to Amalfi..leaving luggage in the car? Any chance there is safe guarded parking there?

Has anyone visited the the town of Vietri on the Amalfi coast? Many years ago I bought a wonderful set of dishes there (whicn I still use) and wonder what Vietri is like nowdays. Worth a visit to the ceramics museum?

Any thoughts on Cetara....? (Both Vietri and Cetara would be en route to Amalfi area from Paestum).
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM

ekscrunchy - from what I see of the hotel website, I think it looks fine. The views from Castellabate itself are superb - across the bay of Salerno towards Capri, and looking the other way across the Cilento national park.

Although we have never eaten at any of them, we were recommended several restaurants up in Castellabate itself. The drive down to Santa Maria is not bad, and I do not remember a problem with parking in April.

As stated previously, the drive from Castellabate to Paestum is not a bad one , although the road from Castellabate to Agropoli is a little twisty. Personally,

My memory could be playing tricks on me here, but I seem to remember the car park nearest to the ruins at Paestum did have an attendant who collected the parking fees and looked after the cars.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

This all sounds very exciting! It seems to be coming together well.

Anyone else remember for certain about the parking at Paestum?

Vietri?

Any opinions about these hotels in Amalfi:

Luna Convento
Santa Caterina
Cappucini Convento
Residenza del Duca (many steps??)
Villa Lara

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Anyone care to comment on these hotels in Amalfi and the parking at Paestum?

Or on the Cilento?
Vietri?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Hi. Cappucini Convento is still close for reno. Santa Catarina is beautiful and is a bit outside of the main town so you have views back over the town and the sea. Luna Convento is right in town and is lovely and beautiful, also views of town and sea. Villa Lara seems to be in the back of the town which is quiet but you may not have the views of the sea. If it is high enough you will have views of the town from the back in the valley. I don't remember seeing this place for the Res Duca.

There are parking lots in vietri.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin, thank you yet again!

So I am thinking Luna Convento, right? This is not until next spring so maybe Capp. Convento will be finished..(??) If so, would you recommend?

I meant to ask if Vietri would be worth a visit for the ceramics museum and the town..??

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I would go with the Luna Convento. Maybe the Cap. will be finished! Even if you don't stay there go up for a cappucino, ha, and the views.

I went to Vietri and into some of the shops and factories. Darn, I missed a museum, didn't even know they had one.

The whole area is just relaxed and beautiful so you can't really go wrong, even in Salerno. There is a nice walking/shopping street there that is lively and fun.

Explore !!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin: Thanks, yet again!!!

So: Luna Convento in Amalfi with cappucino stop at Capp Convento if open! Maybe I will take my vows!

In Raito, part of Vietri town, there is a ceramics museum; I saw a tv show about it and it looked good, with a fabulous exterior:

http://museibiblioteche.provincia.sa...a/ceramica.htm