Madrid Itinerary Feedback Request

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid Itinerary Feedback Request

"Second verse, same as the first..." At the risk of repeating myself following is a more detailed itinerary for our trip to Madrid this fall. I would appreciate any feedback, thoughts and / or suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance, AnnMarie

Monday - arrive Madrid; become (re)aquainted with the city. I am aware of the Monday museum closures such as the Prado, National Archaelogical Museum, etc.

Tuesday thru Thursday - remain in Madrid to see the sights and museums, take in a Flamenco dance, etc.

Friday - depart Madrid for Segovia. Rent a car from a train station in Madrid and drive to Segovia for two nights stay. We want to see Avila but I am unsure where to fit it in--would it be a good idea to stop there on the way to Segovia or should I add this to Saturday? I'm afraid of scheduling too much for one day and Saturday looks full to me as it is.

Saturday - day trip to El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen.

Sunday - depart Segovia for Toledo. Return car to train station in Madrid; take a train from Madrid to Toledo for two nights stay.

Monday - Toledo. I am aware of the museum closures on Monday such as the Museum El Grecco. Does anyone know if the interior of the Alcazar remains closed? It is my understanding it was closed at one time for a military installation?

Tuesday - depart Toledo for Madrid. Return train to Madrid for two final nights.

Wednesday - day trip to Alcala de Henares (where DH once lived)

Thursday - return home
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Hve you checked to see if you can drop the car in Toledo for no extra charge?

Tha would allow you to see Avila on the way from Segovia to Toledo, and save you the time of driving back into madrid just to drop the car and take a train to Segovia.

Heck, as long as the drop charge, if any, is close to the cost of taking the train from madrid to Toledo, this sounds like a good idea because it lets you use Madrid drop off time to see Avila and gets you to Toledo with less hassle.

Price the benefit of seeing Avila without interrupting your other plans, and the advantage of avoinding madrid to reutrn the car and see if the drop charge makes up for those benefits.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Greetings, Aramis. No, I hadn't thought to do that so I will look into it. Interesting idea, thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt--anyone else?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Do Avila on Saturday along w/El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos. Plenty of time, not too far. Otherwise, you will have yourself with a lot of extra time on Saturday, nowhere near as full as you think it is.