St Pete beach hotels

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Pete beach hotels

I'll be visiting the Tampa Bay area next month and want to stay on the Gulf. It sounds like St Pete Beach might be the best location for things to do and am considering the Alden Beach Resort or the Vistas on the Gulf condominiums. Does anyone have any experience with either of these properties? Any other recommendations?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM

We had a 3 family trip and stayed at the Alden. We booked the 1 BR gulf front. It was great. The Alden is clean, affordable and I would certainly go back. St. Pete Beach is wonderful... have a great time.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM

St. Pete Beach is a very nice place. We stayed at the Don Cesar last summer, and can't wait to go back. It's a very laid back beautiful area. Have fun.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:00 PM

We stayed at the Alden a year ago, and thought that it was quite nice. Not fancy, but clean and comfortable, reasonably priced, and has a lovely beach. We had a beach front suite with bedroom and living area/ kitchenettte, which worked out very well for us and our kids. We were on the ground floor, and had a small porch that we enjoyed sitting on that we could walk straight onto the beach from (actually, a nice small lawn area with beach chairs and some picnic tables, but the beach was just beyond that). There were two pools and a hot tub - also a tennis court, which we might have used if we'd brought appropriate tennis shoes (they have rackets you can use).

We ate twice at Crabby Bill's Seafood Restaurant, a short way from the Alden, and thought that it was very good. It was a casual sort of place, with terrible puns posted in various places (as I recall), but that was part of the charm - and the food was quite good.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:48 AM

We stay at the Island Inn every summer for a wekend with our kids. It's not newy or fancy, but it's clean and the grounds are nice. There's a pool, BBQ grills, small pool bar, volleyball nets and it's steps to the beach. It's in a nice location surrounded by homes, so the beach is very uncrowded. The rooms all face the gulf(except maybe 2) have kitchenettes, and a balcony. In late May we are paying $110 a night.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Forgot to mention that the Island Inn is on Treasure Island the next beach after St. Pete Beach.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'd love to stay at the Don Cesar, but it's a bit too pricey compared to the Alden, and we'd prefer to stay on St. Pete beach rather than Treasure Island,so it looks like the Alden it is! (And we'll be sure to try Crabby Bill's too!) Makai1 and Sara - I'll be traveling with my 24 year old daughter and two of her friends. Were the Suites at the Alden a decent size? We've booked the Antigua Suite so I'm hoping we'll have enough room (4 women and only one bathroom - kinda scarey). That's why I was considering a condo - Vistas on the Gulf has a bedroom, a den with a trundle bed and 2 bathrooms for about the same amount of money as the Alden. I'd probably grab it in a minute, but TripAdvisor rates the Alden so highly and there were a few negative comments about Vistas on the Gulf.
Thanks again for all your help!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:32 PM

hey sharon,

The 1 BR gulf front unit is not huge, and if 4 of you are sharing, obviously 2 are using the sleeper sofa. It is not a spacious unit... fine for 2 adults and 1 child, but I would be hesitant w/ 4 adult ladies unless you all are familiar and comfortable w/ each other... and not concerned about the intimacy of sharing such tight quarters... pretty tight accomodations for all of you. Also, do 2 of you REALLY want to sleep on a sleeper sofa on your vacation??? Can you swing 2 units?

Have you checked out the BonAire? They might have a 2 BR unit... and are just up the beach from the Alden. My BIL and SIL stay there every year and love it. They wouldn't stay anywhere else on St Pete Beach. Very clean, family run and they have a HUGE return clientele. It might be very affordable there to book 2 adjoining units. 2 pools and a great beach bar with the best burgers on the beach. You might want to check it out. Honestly, it's more of a mom & pop motel than the Alden, but just as clean and much less $$$.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM

The Bonaire has 2-bedroom suites but whether or not they're available is another thing. Definitely none with two bathrooms. The Bonaire is not as large a complex as the Alden, and no tennis courts.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

makai1 - According to the Alden's website, there are two double beds in the bedroom, so I'm assuming I can share a bed with my daughter and her two friends can share the other bed (or one could use the sofa sleeper). I just checked the BonAire website and it looks like they just have one bedroom units. Based on your comments, maybe I should seriously consider the Vistas on the Gulf condos. Thanks much for your insights.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM

Hi Sharon,

You might want to call and check sq. ftg. Honestly, w/ 4 ladies, the more roomy the better. 2 baths will help. From the looks of VOTG, I would think you'd enjoy the use of the full kitchen, as well as the "den" w/ the trundle.

Have fun.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Caution, there's a Vistas on the Gulf condo hotel on St. Pete Beach (4000 Gulf Blvd), and Vistas on the Gulf condo complex on Madeira Beach (13030 Gulf Blvd). You definitely want the first one!