st james hotel, nyc

Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

st james hotel, nyc

I would appreciate any input on this hotel. Expedia and Tripadvisor reviews appear fine for the most part, with comments that rooms are on the small side and may show some wear. I can get it for $149 a night over Labor Day weekend. I'm taking my son and his friend to the US Open.

I haven't been on these boards in a while and the new look is very awkward to me. I did a search on this hotel and found nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM

The St. James is a really old hotel, not in good condition. For 3 in a room, I think it's a bad choice. There are usually great sales for Labor Day weekend that may not be posted yet. I'd keep looking. The Affinia Manhattan is a suite hotel right across from Penn station. The nicest way to go to the US Open is on the LIRR which leaves from Penn station. You can get a studio suite there on quikbook.com for $150/night but I'd urge you to get a 1 bedroom for $187/night which will give you more privacy, 2 tvs, and a lot more space. It has to be booked by tomorrow at 5 pm but it's fully cancelable and doesn't require prepayment should you find something you like better later on travelzoo.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM

Though Labor Day weekend is a quiet one in NYC, the US Open accounts for a substantial hotel-room pickup, so you are wise to book the room now.
As for getting to the Open, the LIRR may be the "nicest" to get there (never having done that I don't know what the experience is like), however, I would think that the most practical and, I'm sure, cheapest is via subway!
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I had looked at Affinia Manhattan, but was looking for something closer to the theaters, Times Square. Reviews on the Belvedere on this board are quite old-2005. Any recent experience?
Apr 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM

The Belvedere is fine and certainly a lot better than the St. James. I think some rooms there are renovated and quite nice and the unrenovated ones are "ok" but not great. I think the renovated rooms are tagged "deluxe". The Hampton Inn Times Square North and the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square are other options in that area with good sized rooms with 2 queen beds.
Apr 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM

PS, tripadvisor.com is the place to look for up to date hotel reviews and travelers' photos.