St. Augustine/Jax with a college aged daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are going to jax for a concert this weekend. I'm looking for a day of interesting activities for us to do together - maybe St. Augustine.

Any ideas on what mom & daugher would enjoy together? sites, restaurants and shopping?
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Hi
I am a newcomer to Jax myself but I have checked out a few shopping places ..
St Augustine is nice, during the week is better, it is very very crowded and touristy to the extreme.
There is a neighborhood across the river from Downtown called San Marco. There are very good bistros, cafes and some fun shops ..
Then down Riverside Dr into the Avondale area is another great neighborhood of huge homes on the river, gorgeous streets with old trees full of Spanish moss and that street, St Johns Ave..has some really good shops, galleries and cafes & bistros.
My short list of places to eat would be
BB's
Bistro Aix
Pom
Bricks
Bicottis
Cafe Carmon
Do walk along River Walk on either side of the river, but if you are staying downtown, walk over to the the Landing and browse and walk along the river..it is very nice ~
Have fun Scarlett
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I agree with Scarlett. San Jose & San Marco/Riverside is really coming back. I think you'd like St Augustine as well. The old section sort of reminds me a bit of New Orleans French Quarter. If you go there then be sure to eat at O'Steen's. Their fried shrimp is great. If you want to be really crazy then go through the Ripley's Believe It or Not. We used to have the most fun seeing all the crazy things in there. Of course, I remember when they used to have little "believe it or not" mentions in the comics section of the paper.

Depending on where you're from you might want to go to the beach as well. The Landing downtown is ok to stroll through. You could ride the monorail (downtown)too.

Have fun!
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:54 AM

You'll love st. augustine and you've gotten some great advice so far. (hi scarlett! )

Also, the fort and lighthouse are definitely worth exploring. Wonderful views!

And DO check out the Jesterville Grille and St. Augustine Toy Company right on the square area. Its similar to the old 'five and dime' stores with an old fashioned fountain counter grille. Go for dessert and try their an awesome 'Oatmeal Pie'. It doesn't taste at all like it sounds, like what you'd expect - i BEGGED them for a copy of the recipe!

I also found many wonderful bakeries along the historic area shoppes that had AMAZING chocolate chip cookies. Never met a cc cookie i didn't have to try....a major reason why i'm a runner...
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the comments so far - anyone have any thoughts about ponte vedra? would it be a nice area to base ourselves or should we stay in dt jax?
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Ponte Vedra is beautiful but a ride from downtown. Where is the concert?
There is more to do or accessability to things to do if you are staying downtown. We stayed in the Adams Mark, right on the River when we stayed here last summer, while househunting.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Hi ellen !
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:51 AM

If you get a chance to get a tour of Flagler University, located in the old Flagler Hotel, in StAug, take it. Also nearby is the Lightner Museum, housed (as well at the StAug City Hall) in an old "grand hotel". It's something seeing how beautiful these old hotels were, where wealthy guests arrived from the north & spent the entire season.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I had a great meal at the A1A Ale House in St. Augustine. They have a big wide porch upstairs with a great view. But the food is the real draw.