Question for Here today gone2Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Hawaii this Octoberand will be in Maui. We are cruising but while in Maui we will have one full day and until 6 the following day. The cruise line has excursions you can book,but they are usually not that good. I have spent HOURS on the computer trying to see what I should do in Maui and I'm so confused. I would LOVE to do the road to Hana,but my husband gets car sick so that is out. Anything similar and where do I book the tours? Is the Iao Valleyworth seeing. I just love waterfalls and beautiful scenery. Not to crazy about seeing lava or volcanos. Have you ever heard of the Garden of Eden. I know I'll probably never get back again so I want to make the most of my stay,but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,Gailsy
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:59 PM

While you're answering--will you also please tell us where the cruise ships dock and what days. It's probably best to avoid that area when the ships dock so as not add to the congestion!

You're going to have to start charging for your expert advice!
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Cruise ships come into both Lahaina and Kahalui. I don't really pay attention to when the boat days are, since I don't spend a lot of days in either place. I do see the crwods coming from the Kahului harbor to the WalMart or KMart sometimes. And sometimes when I'm up in Lahaina I see the "Boat Day" E Komo Mai banners, but I can't tell you what days of the week.

Hana would be kind of a lot to ask for just one day on Maui. But the I`ao valley is very close to where you will docking, regardless of whether you come into Lahaina or Kahului. We have no active volcanoes here, so don't worry about lava! The Graden of Eden is on the Hana Highway, but on the west side we have the Maui Botanical Gardens, near Keanea. I have never been, so I cannot comment on it. You could take a drive along to north shore toward Hana and tak in some of the scenery and visit there, but the drive to Kaenae might make your husband car sick.

I think a visit to I`ao Valley would really suit your needs and would allow you time to do something else too, like explore Lahaina or visit a beach. Many people think of Lahaina as only a place for cheesy tourist food and shopping, but there is a lot of history, especially if you wander off of Front Street.

Do you come into Lahaina or Kahului? You can rent a car for the day and just explore, or you can book through Roberts
<http://www.roberts-hawaii.com/activi...fm?eventID=17>

or Akina
<http://www.akinatours.com/tour_historical.htm>

There are some others as well, Polynesian Hospitalty I think one is called. I also know someone who called a taxi company on the island and hired a private your guide for a small group. You could check with some of the activity booking agencies like Activity Warehouse or Barefoot's. Again, I have no dealt with any of these, so I can't tell which one is best. I know some require you to sit through a time share presentation. I am sure you can get recommendations from others here on this.

I have never taken a tour, so maybe someone else here who has firsthand knowledge of them can help you with this. you might want to check with the tour company, but it looks like the Akina tour goes over the pali, which while beautiful, may be troublesome for your husband.
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank yoy so much for taking the time to e-mail me back. you made some good suggestions and I really appreciate it.

Gailsy
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM

We went to Maui in May of 2000 and book a lot of the tours thru an Activity Broker. Their office was in Lahaina and we saved a lot of money. I recommend Haleakala Bike Tour and Atlantis Submarine Tour. Do not take the Road to Hana if your husband gets car sick. We paid for someone to drive us around the Road to Hana. If you do the whole thing it makes for a very long day. Maui was having a drought when we went so the waterfall were not that spectacular.
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:40 AM

Jayne, I just got back from a very wet, rainy, long day in Lahaina. It was boat day and there were 2 cruise ship off of ahaina. But, in general, I'd say the shipsd added no noticeable crowds to Lahaina
Town, and today was the opening of the Festival of Canoes.

Gailsy, you are so very welcome.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Oh, my, that scowly face did not belong in there!
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:39 PM

THanks for the update!