Spago Closed-- Now What?

Search

Spago Closed-- Now What?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spago Closed-- Now What?

We made reservations for dinner at Spago in March. Last night, they called to say they were closed for a private party that evening so Spago is out.

We are only spending one night in the area. Any suggestions on other nearby restaurants? We were thinking Sona or Matsuhisa but would like some other ideas. We are open to price range and types of cuisines. We're just looking for great food, good service, and a nice atmosphere. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:57 AM

The Ivy would be tops in my book
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM

NOT the Ivy. She said great food.

Jane, there are two hot-ticket Hollywood eateries not too far from BH: Providence and Opus. Providence is high-end seafood, stylish, great. Opus is eclectic, in a dramatic room. Websites:

http://www.providencela.com/

http://www.opusrestaurant.net/
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I loved my dinner at Mastro's Steak House.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:46 AM
LT

Hey rjw!

Long time, no chat!

Since you're proffering opinions on L.A. restaurants, I'm wondering what your opinion of Dan Tana's is? When I go to L.A. anymore, it's usually just for the day, and I try to get back to PSP before the traffic gets too crazy (if that's possible!). But, am going to be in Malibu overnight in May with a friend, and I was thinking of taking him there for a little bit of the "Hollywood thing."

But, Opus looks good, too!

Take care, and PLEASE send some warmer temps back east!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Dan Tana? Super "old school" Hollywood. They say George Clooney still goes for the kitsch factor, but I don't know if that's really true.

Nobu Malibu might be your best bet if you're going to be up there. Geoffrey's kitchen has gone alarmingly downhill recently, but the views are as spectacular as always. How about some "star power" in Santa Monica? Giorgio Baldi, Capo or Ivy at the Shore would do nicely, but the food at the Ivy is as spotty as at the Robertson Blvd. branch.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
LT

Thanks! Yes, I know Dan Tana's is old school Hollywood, but I'm thinking that might be kind of interesting! When I lived there (a number of years ago), I was always more impressed with the old school celebrities, anyway! Once you've met Cyd Charisse, today's celebrities simply can't compare.

We're going to see Wicked @ the Pantages that night, so anything in the H'wd./WeHo/BH, etc. areas wouldn't be a stretch.

I'd love to do Nobu, but my friend is a "meat and potatoes" (and Italian!) kind of guy! But, the more I see about Opus, the more I think it won't be too big of a stretch for him.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will look into them!