Reload this Page >

Fun place to celebrate birthday in Los Angeles

Notices

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting our sons in LA in August celebrating her 61st birthday. Can you suggest a fun place to celebrate?
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:35 PM

Do you have a price range? We just dined at Michael's, on the high end, in Santa Monica a few weeks ago. It's been so hot here this summer we wanted a nice cool patio atmosphere for a Birthday. Reservations for patio are needed 1-2 weeks in advance, but it is absolutely refreshing with the trees, running water and lights. Excellent food and service.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:00 PM

If it's a Friday or Saturday night, The Restaurant at the Getty is open late. It's sort of an "event" dining place in that you have to take a tram up to the Getty Center, you can tour the museum and grounds, and the Restaurant itself is a pretty spectacular setting around sunset. Pricey.
www.getty.edu
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:03 PM

Where exactly in LA?

My daughter and i just enjoyed a great LA getaway and LOVED our lunch at THE IVY! It was on our hope-to-do list and it was really fun. Cozy, lovely place settings and centerpieces, spotted some celebs, and the food wasn't bad either.

If your wife is into shopping, she might enjoy LePetite Four and Sushiya Asian Cafe (possibly a chain?) both on sunset near some great shoppes.

For mexican, we also liked La Velvet Marguarita Cantina on Cahuenga Blvd. Funky-nice casual vibe, and their amazing signature margaritas are served in cut-out pineapples with fun, festive flourishes. Good desserts, too.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions? We leave for LA in two days. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM

allyboy, we also enjoyed the Beach Cafe in Paradise Cove, Malibu. You can literally eat on the beach and we hovered quite awhile trying to get one of the tables. Ended up inside next to the window, and watched while a wave nearly wiped out the table we'd hoped to get! This is a place to go for the view and setting, as our dinners were somewhat medicore (don't have the fish tacos!) altho our friend said his mahi was excellent. Their salad bar was extensive and tasty, however.

Years ago we tried Gladstones (malibu) and especially enjoyed the view on the water. However, it has received scathing reviews since then so i'd give it a pass.

This will top your post and hopefully others will chime in!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:44 AM
Tess

How about Spago? Request a seat on the patio when you make reservations. Fabulous food and atmosphere--very much a 'destination restaurant.' I liked Ellen's rec of The Ivy, too.

Have fun!!

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM

How could i forget this! The chocolate layer cake at the Beach Cafe is HUGE, nearly covering a dinner plate. While not the best i've had (i'm a certified chocoholic) we saw other tables enjoying it as a birthday cake as it easily serves at least 4.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM
lvk

Since you said "fun" and not romantic or elegant. Here are a few:

Cha Cha Cha on Melrose in Silverlake (Carribean)
Samba - Brazilian churrascaria on the waterfront in Redondo Beach www.sambaredondo.com
Border Grill, Santa Monica

I guess I'm in a Latin mood today.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:38 AM

Hi--We are from BOS and just ate at AOC--a currently very trendy place, but not the reason to go there--in LA this past wknd w/our 20s son and his new girlfriend. It is a wine bar/small plates place that was a lot of fun, esp b/c you are all sharing the various small plates--*not* typical tapas from Spanish restaurants, but small plates w/a CA/Mediterranean flair. We found it very lively and enjoyable. Wines by the glass are also not the usual fare..as the place has the wine bar and so picks some that the regular diner might not know. Also, since you order a few plates at a time, the pace is leisurely.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:57 AM
baybee510

Hi,

The last place I went to for a birthday was Gaucho Village in Glendale. Not sure where you will be in l.a., so can't say if driving to glendale would be too far.

But I had a lot of fun there. It's a Brazilian churrascaria. They have a really nice buffet set out, with cold and hot foods and then they have the men walking around with meat that they slice for you at the table. If you've never had brazilian food I highly recommend it. Plus they have a live band and a samba show every hour.

Many people were celebrating their birthday there and a couple of diners got up to the stage to join in the dancing.

The recommendations for restaurants in l.a. proper you've already received are also good and may be more in your taste if looking for the Hollywood experience - The Ivy is a celebrity playground.

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Everyone has been wonderful! One more day before we leave and will welcome any new suggestions. Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Brazilian (Beverly Hills)maybe? www.fogodechao.com

Korean BBQ in Beverly Hills?, you cook your own.. Woo Lae Oak, 170 N. LaCienega
www.woolaeoak.com

Maybe a dinner with a live belly dancer show? Dar Maghreb Restaurant
www.darmaghrebrestaurant.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
LHG

What about Geoffrey's in Malibu?