Spa overnight trip for mom and 2 daughters within driving distance from DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister is going to turn 30...she is my younger sister...I am having problems coping with this...

I think it would be fun if my mom and I took her someplace within driving distance from DC March 5 and 6. We have never done a spa experience and I am thinking it is time for us to give it a try!

The problem is that I am cheap - maybe $100 a night for each of us for a room and another $150 for spa treatments?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where we could go?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM

There is a website called spafinders.com which has information about various day spas and resort spas around the world by city and state. Try that. They have listings for day spas and hotel/destination spas, so if you found a good day spa, you could then stay at a nearby hotel and may save some money that way.

There is a hotel outside Harrisburg (under 2 hours from DC)called Felicta that has a spa. I don’t know anything about it, but do recall seeing positive reccos on it on this site. The website is http://www.felicitaresort.com/ Run a search here for comments..

You might also try the Ritz-Carlton at Tyson’s Corner or in Georgetown which both have spas. They often run weekend specials on room prices, as they tend to be fuller during the week. I think you can use their facilities on a day spa basis even if you don’t stay there, it is worth calling to ask. You might try the Four Seasons in DC for the same reason. Or the Four Seasons in Philadelphia which definitely offers weekend rates. Personally I am not sure that turning 30 merits a Four Seasons. . . .maybe turning 50!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I love the Sugar House day spa in Alexandria, VA if you decide that you would rather go someplace without spending the night. You could have a nice dinner in Old Town as well.

Another suggestion is St Micheal's, MD - the Five Gables Inn & Spa. Since it is low season, you may be able to get a rate within your budget.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Williamsburg is a great place for the ladies. I think you may be able to use Kingsmill's spa without staying there. www.kingsmill.com It is worth a look. There are also several "day spas" listed in the yellow pages. I just don't know anything about them. The town gives you plenty of things to do beyond your spa treatments.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:08 AM

For generally more budget-friendly spa and lodging prices than most of the above, about 2-3 hours from DC, read about the spas and places to stay at Berkeley Springs, West Virginia:

http://www.berkeleysprings.com/spas.htm
http://www.berkeleysprings.com/lodging.htm

This is a very relaxing, laid-back area, which boasts three times as many massage therapists as lawyers--definitely an antidote to DC.

I have only used the State Park bath and massage facilities (which are Spartan, but with prices to match), and the wonderful country B and B I stayed at is no longer open, so I can't really recommend among the places listed for your party, but perhaps others will.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions!

Birdie - I live in Williamsburg! My mom and sister are in Northern VA and I will going up there to visit for the weekend. My sister thinks that we will be going out to dinner, but my mom and I will abscond with her!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I'll second Berkely Springs. Ton's of spas - the best is The Bath House (it's within your price range). Cute area, some nice restaurants and just a good place for a DC getaway. Wherever you end up, make your spa treatment reservation ASAP as they can get booked up pretty far ahead.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM

I think Berkeley Springs is right for you. Look at Coolfont.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Reneeinvaorry! I should have recognized your name but I often don't even look at the author names. I'd love to hear what you think of the destination you end up traveling to.