Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southwest Itinerary 6 days/night, is this too much, doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive Phoenix at about 7:30 PM, Thursday, May 27th, and will be in the southwest for 6 nights, and return on Wednesday, June 2nd at 3:30 PM.

Currently, I have planned to overnight in Scottsdale on the Thursday of arrival.

Friday, drive to the Grand Canyon, and have booked reservations for the El Tovar. I believe we’ll have to get up very early as I think I’d like to see Sunset Crater and Wupatiki along the way. I’ve also booked reservations at the El Tovar dining room, after the sun has set. (However, I believe that I may have to cut out Sunset /Wupatiki as it may take more time than I think, and not allow for quality time at the Grand Canyon.)

Saturday, get up early, drive to Page, (expecting a 3 hour drive to page) and do the ½ day raft trip with Colorado River Adventures. Need to be in Page by 12:30 pm for raft trip.) Now that I am aware of Antelope Canyon, I’d like to make a quick stop there for a 90 min tour before the ½ day river trip. After the rafting trip, dinner in Page, and drive to Kayenta and overnight there. I expect a 2 hour drive from Page to Kayenta. (Again, I may have planned too much, and may have to do without Antelope Canyon)

Sunday, I’ve booked a 9 am 4 hour tour with Kéyah Hózhóní to see Monument Valley. Following this, drive on to Arches National Park. I figure we’ll hopefully arrive around 3:30 PM. Assumes a 2.5 hr drive from Monument Valley to Arches N.P., and departing at 1 PM from the MV tour. The sun sets at 8:30 PM, thereby giving us 5 hours in the park. (However, I understand that Park crowds/traffice, may potentially slow me down.)

Monday, get up early, drive to Mesa Verde. I belive it's a 3 hour drive from Moab to Mesa Verde N.P. See as much of Mesa Verde as we can before dark, or closing. Hoping to arrive by 10 am, and stay as long as we can, till closing, around 5 PM. Therefore, hoping we'd have 7 hours at MV. Then, drive to Gallup, NM, overnight there.

Tuesday, drive to Sedona from Gallup. Seems to be a 3.5 hr drive, but, along the way, stop at Petrified NP, spend 2 hours there. Continue on to Meteor Crater. I’ve been there once before in 1983, it was pretty cool, and thought my Mom might like to see. Though if we do visit, and I’ll leave that decision up to her, 90 min. is more than enough for us off the highway to allocate. Then, continue on to Sedona, have booked a 4 pm Pink Jeep tour, Broken Arrow combo trip. I like that driving from Gallup we gain an hour when we get to Arizona, we’ll need it. (I understand that I may need more time in Petrified Forest, so I may skip Meteor Crater. Also, I understand there could be traffic issues in Sedona, therefore I may need to allow for time in traffic.)

Wednesday, with a 3:30 pm departure out of Phoenix, I figure we need to depart Sedona area no later than 12 pm. I am not sure what we’ll do in the morning, have not quite figured that out yet, but I doubt we’ll be sleeping in. A hot air balloon ride would be fun, but finances will determine if that’s doable for us!

Regarding visiting Arches National Park, or Mesa Verde, both of these stops may be unrealistic due to things taking longer than expected. But, if I drop one, or both of these areas from my itinerary, I need something to fill the gap. Maybe I should drop one which would allow for more time at the other. If so, which?

We like to get up early, stay out late, and see and do a lot. We don't mind being on the go most of the trip. Hence, our 6 night itinerary is fully packed. Also, I realize there's a lot of driving with this itinerary, but the secenery along the way would be enjoyable and part of the experience/adventure. However, I am concerned that the whole itinerary may be unrealistic. Fortunately, I have till May before the trip, and open for changes.

I am interested in helpful advice to better improve the itinerary. But, in staying this, I need details and specifics. For example, if I am recommended to skip an activity or area, I need to know what to do in it's place. Or, for example, I know that many people here on TA spend more time in Sedona which I understand is a beautiful and fantastic area. Even so, if I were to be suggested to spend more time there, or some other area on this southwest itinerary, I need details on what I'd be doing. Telling me to spend more time in any specific area does not really help without following up with a speific agenda of what I'd be doing in place of what I've already planned.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM

This looks rushed but realistic. Lot of good planning thus far!

I believe that I may have to cut out Sunset /Wupatiki as it may take more time than I think, and not allow for quality time at the Grand Canyon

You can do a drive-thru on the way to the east entrance of the GC, no problem. This will add about an hour to the drive up. Since it will be mid-day you won't miss anything at the GC, where the best viewing is early and late anyway.

Page stuff looks very tight but doable ... you can do Antelope Canyon on your own instead of with a 90 minute tour, if you wish (or if you miss the start of the tour). Mid-day is the best time for upper AC.

Wednesday, with a 3:30 pm departure out of Phoenix, I figure we need to depart Sedona area no later than 12 pm

It's a two hour drive if there are no traffic problems (mid-day Wed should be light traffic, but one freeway wreck can slow traffic for a long time), supposed to allow 2 hours for check-in at the airport plus time to drop off the rental car, so maybe this is tight.

I am not sure what we’ll do in the morning (Sedona), have not quite figured that out yet

Here's a link to some scenic drives around Sedona. At your pace you can probably work in almost all of them The surrounding country is more interesting than the city, for most of us. For sure try Boynton Canyon (if your jeep trip didn't go there) ... you can find other lists by searching for 'sedona scenic drives' ...
http://www.sedona-az.biz/sedona-ariz...nic-drives.php
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM

You will be moving all the time, but that is the kind of vacation we usually take too. Do approach Grand Canyon from the east, even if you have to cut Wupatki/Sunset, there are places to pull off for fantastic views all along the Canyon this way. If you find you need to cut Mesa Verde, you could add Walnut Canyon, just east of Flagstaff for an interesting, much smaller look at cliff dwellings, but you can get right into them. As long as it is sunny, you can get nice pictures at Antelope Canyon, it is also likely to be less crowded at times other than noon, You can check some of my pictures taken in the mid afternoon at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009 in the 2008 set.

Have a fantastic trip.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM

I guess I'd suggest entering the Grand Canyon from the south rather than the east. IMO the views are more spectacular near the south entrance, and I would want my first view to be one of the best. After seeing a few overlooks they start to blend together and I think if you enter from the east, you'd kind of be over it by the time you got to the best views.

Personally, I'd cut out Arches. That's a bit out of the way for a 5 hour drive-thru. If you need to add something, you could use that time to hit Sunset/Wupatki on your way back, after Petrified Forest.

So, go from Monument Valley to Mesa Verde, spend some time there on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning, then start driving to Sedona on Monday afternoon and possibly stop at Petrified Forest/Meteor Crater that afternoon. Tuesday continue driving and hit Wupatki/Sunset before heading to Sedona.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM

You have planned more time in Monument Valley (and most of your destinations) than the Grand Canyon. I don't understand the rush to see it all. To fill in time, which I find odd that you need to spend every minute doing something new, try an easy hike, (you don't have to hike the canyon, just walk around or go into the woods) a horseback ride or just experiencing the beauty around you. It sounds like you are just ticking them off your list and just seeing it is enough.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and good information. I appreciate the help and advice, and will continue to tweek my itinerary and make necessary changes.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Can be done, but I would cut something out. You are going to be missing a lot. Pesonally, 2 days to see Mesa Verde. I would go to all of the ruins, including Wetherill. You could spend many days in Moab, 5 hours in Arches is just not nearly enough. The Devils Garden hike is one of the best in Utah and it takes about 5 hours just to do it. I can't imagine not hiking to Delicate Arch and it will take you 2-3 hours.

Mesa Verde is totally different and the rest of your trip is somewhat going to all look similar. But, Moab/Arches/Canyonlands is one of my favorite places. Monument Valley is my least favorite place that I have been in Utah, however it is still a great places. Grand Canyon isn't at the top of my list either, but how can you miss it. Your first view of the GC is something that will stick with you forever, it is one of two or three places that you might actually gasp outloud. Tough decision, but I think you are missing a ton by rushing through things just to check them off your list. I have learned that the more I stay somewhere, usually the more I like it. I think most of the National Parks require 2-3 days at a bare minimum and longer is even better.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM

you might consider doing your rafting in Moab.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM

BTW, I don't think you have to worry about traffic jams in Arches. We were there over a Memorial Day weekend and had a lot of the trails to ourselves. Only spot with a lot of people is Delicate Arch, especially at sunset.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM

specifically in Arches
see Balanced Rock, Double Arch, hike Delicate Arch, Hike Devils Garden, Canyonlands-Mesa Arch, perhaps a plane tour,canyoneering blow away anything that I have ever done- so much fun!!

in Mesa Verde- see every single house possible- most of them are with a guide and you need to get tickets early morning or the day before and are like $3pp. every house is similar, but still unique.

in route to Moab- Moki Dugway, Muley Point, Gooseneck state park, Natural Bridges NM

in Page- I wouldn't miss Rainbow Bridge

this is just scratching the surface
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies. Everyone has given me much to think about. I know I'll need to make some modifications. For one, I will have to drop Sunset & Wupatiki to make for more time at Grand Canyon. Plus, when I arrive to Phoenix in the early evening, I may drive to Flagstaff and overnight there in order to get me closer to Grand Canyon and again, have more time there.

For Monument Valley, I believe I'll drop the 4 hour Monument Valley tour to give me more time in Arches National Park. I am glad to read that someone has been to Arches over Memorial Day weekend and not not find it excessively crowded, excempt for Delicate Arch.

I am still interested in Mesa Verde National Park. For my itinerary, we realise we will have to get up early each day, and so the same goes for getting up early in Moab to make the drive to Arches. I had thought that if we could arrive by 9:30-10:00 am to the Visitor's Center, that this would give us about 7 hours to explore Mesa Verde and take tours. Granted, we're going over a holiday weekend, but it would be on the Monday, and maybe the crowds would not be so bad.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and recommendations.