Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Once again -- Bus and Subway from LaGuardia Airport

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to have a friend take the E train, since it comes virtually to my building -- and has elevators up.

So to get from LaGuardia (US Air), he takes the Q-33 to Jackson Hghts/Roosevelt Station? Or is it to the 74th Street station and then a short walk to get the E train?

I see things about the M-60 bus and then the N train, but does the N-60 also get you to the E train? Or must you take the Q-33 and is the bus easy to spot at the terminals? Does it stop at all terminals or just one?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I do realize that the M-60 won't get you to the E train at Jackson Hghts/Roosevelt. I guess my question there was -- does any bus besides the Q33 do so?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM

"So to get from LaGuardia (US Air), he takes the Q-33 to Jackson Hghts/Roosevelt Station? Or is it to the 74th Street station and then a short walk to get the E train?"

Yes

(On the E train, it is called the "Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Hts" stop. The 7 train crosses the E train at this location and the stop on the 7 train is called "74th St/Broadway".)

The Q33 is the bus to take from LGA to this stop. The subway station is the terminus for this bus route. Make sure your friend is clear to take the E train toward Manhattan. A few different train run through this station and they follow very different routes than the E.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Oh--yes, the bus stops are labeled with the same typpe of sgnage as in Manhattan and there are a few locations at the main terminal as well as the outlying terminals. The stops are along the same strip sidewalk directly outside the terminal as the taxi ranks, but your friend may have to walk away from the terminal exit door to find the closest stop. Just as you would in Manhattan, the signs on the front of the bus will flash the route number.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM

http://tripplanner.mta.info/_start.aspx
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarifictions.
I'm a little hesitant with that trip planner after a couple of odd things.

For example it clearly tells me I can take the N to 8th Street/ NYU. And in fact I did that very thing last night to Joe's Pub. But when I tried to do the same today, it didn't stop there. And outside the entrance it says NRW. I looked at a more specific schedule and saw one indication that "the N does not always stop there" but without an explanation of when it does and when it doesn't. Seemed surprising to me that it does stop there at night, but not during the day. Trying to know which trains are locals and which are express and when they stop or don't is still the hardest thing about the NYC subway to me.

It also doesn't update with all closures -- and was telling me to take the E to a destination on Saturday even though the E was not running.

And when I tried Trip Planner for this LaGuardia question, I couldn't figure out how to specify I wanted the E. It just kept giving me the M-60 and N connections for my trip. I kept trying various times and finally got one with the E and Q-33 -- and I'm just assuming that works any time. But you know what they say about assume.

Since I sold my show ticket for Wednesday evening, I may just hop on the subway myself and go meet him at the airport. Nothing better to do and at least if we get lost, we'll get lost together.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:40 PM

With you along for the ride, you might opt for the 7 train instead. The last stop on the 7 is Times Square but you might enjoy the option for the view. The E train is a underground all the way, but the 7 train is elevated. You get a great view of Manhattan as the train passes through Long Island City, but the trip would probably take a bit longer since the E usually runs express. The E would certainly be more direct and faster.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM
mp

www.hopstop.com usually incorporates the weekend closings and service advisories on bus/subway routes, and says so when you enter info.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

So there's no chance that the E won't stop at the appropriate Roosevelt/Jackson Heights stop? Something was said about express only in the evenings and it will be between 8 and 9 PM probably. And the return will me around noon on Sunday. (Which also means there isn't much view from a train at night) I'd like to stick with the E if possible.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:32 AM
mp

here's the mta link. The E stops at Roosevelt/Jckson heights all times - excepts when there is a service advisory of weekend work - the best thing to do is check the website under service advisories before you go.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/eline.htm

To answer your question, of course there is always a CHANCE . . . but 90 % percent of the time, the E always stops at Roosevelt Ave./Jackson Heights - it's a big transfer station for other lines and bus lines in Queens.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

OK, That was amazingly simple. I got from Worldwide Plaza at 8th and 50th to US Air at LaGuardia in exactly 45 minutes! After he arrived, we had to wait about 10 minutes for the Q-33 then about 50 minutes total back to Worldwide Plaza. The fact that the E runs express at night within Queens really moves that part along.
I don't think I've ever managed to make it that distance in under an hour by taxi. Suddenly I'm wondering why for so many years I've heard "Taxi is the ONLY decent way to get to midtown from LaGuardia".
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Patrick, you hear that because many people are taxi snobs (that's my opinion, at least). They will always tell you that it's "only" $10 more to take a taxi so why not? They may also have a lot of luggage, in which case it's not really practical to take a bus and subway.

You'll also find that the shared bus shuttles to the airports run in about the same amount of time and are also a good deal (especially if you are traveling alone), but they are still more expensive than the subway/bus combo.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM

"Suddenly I'm wondering why for so many years I've heard "Taxi is the ONLY decent way to get to midtown from LaGuardia"."

Only one of you had luggage . . . plus you are living on top of the best fastest subway option for LGA. If you had to make another connection along the way, your time and agony might increase.

For a person who is unwilling to deal with public transportation, especially if there are two people, a taxi makes more sense than the shuttle bus options since the price is not much more and the service is door-to-door. (At any time but rush hour, a taxi between my home in the East Village and LGA takes 15-20 minutes and costs about $23 on the meter.)

For me, the M60 to the Astoria Blvd subway station works better since the trains at this stop have stops near my home. But the ride is longer than the E since the trains make more stops. I could take the E but I would have to change trains somewhere. I'm a big believer in the AirTrain to JFK as well.

Often the answer to how one should travel between Manhattan and any local airport is more about the specific situation--the number of travelers; the physical abilities of the travelers; the actual destination in Manhattan and it location in relation to public transport options; and the particular travelers skill/fear in dealing with public transport connections.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Yea, I'd be the first to agree that generally the shuttles (particularly with two or more people) are NOT a worthy saving or advantage over a taxi. And the shuttle buses are affected by traffic the same way taxis are, so I don't get any time savings. And I also agree that the specific location makes a difference too. I agree that my location right on the E makes the bus/subway combination a good option. This trip I flew Jet Blue into JFK, and the AirTrain/E combination was fantastic for me as well. I remember the time I flew into JFK and took a taxi, and we sat by Shea Stadium when a tanker trunk had overturned and traffic was stopped for nearly an hour. He couldn't get out of it. Of course that's not the norm, but it was over 2 hours by taxi (thankfully with the set price in effect or it could have cost us a small fortune).
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Oh,and I don't mean to put down taking a taxi. For many that is really the best hassle-free option. I was just surprised that the subway/bus option was a lot less hassle than many have led me to believe. I've seen plenty of posts saying that similar routes from JFK or Newark are OK, but that subway and bus simply is "not a good option" from LaGuardia. Maybe it IS because of my location, but it was a great option for me.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Doug

Over the past few years I often taken the Etrain/Airtrain to JFK but to LaGuardia I take a cab, It is not that expensive from Manhattan and the bus, subway and/or walk or another subway/bus combo is a pain.

As noted on other LGA posts. There is a taxi stand around the corner from the American terminal that usually has scores of cabs waiting as opposed to those on the islands in front of the airlines. Also ask the driver if he knows the back way to the 59th Street Bridge which saves time and money.

Also if you staying downtown ask the acbbie if the BQE and Williamsburg Bridge are clear, another way to save time and money.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM

And you are a real traveler, Patrick, so the idea of negotiating the connections is not a fearful one for you.

Even NYers have mixed feelings about dealing with public transportation with luggage, as you have seen by the posts here. Some NYers will talk about the agony of shlepping luggage on stairs while others will chime in that it's easy and cheap. For me, when I'm headed out of town I'm excited to be on my way and have plenty of time, so I often take the public transport option. (And as the AirTrain glides above the traffic jam on the Van Wyck Expressway, I glory in the moment.) But when I'm returning home, I'm tired and just want to get home so I opt for a taxi.

Also, because a taxi fare from LGA to Manhattan is much cheaper than rates from JFK or Newark, a taxi is often recommended.

Since I grew up in the NYC suburbs, it still surprises me when I read posts here from people planning a trip to NYC featuring comments that they are so scared to take the subway or bus, that they have never been on a train before, and the like. In sharing the transportation options it's important to consider the comfort level of the OP.

There was a post a few months ago from first-time visitors who were staying in Manhattan on the east side near the E train stop at Lexington Ave. All the usual debates about getting there from JFK went back and forth, though more than usual commented in favor of the AirTrain+E train. They opted for the AirTrain to get into town and reported that it was so easy for them that they returned to the airport that way before their early-morning flight.

Patrick, Glad you have found a great option for you. Now you'll have more money for great meals and theater.