Southern solo Road trip sept 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really appreciate any thoughts on my proposed itinerary.
I'm a single female travelling from dallas to atlanta by rental car (with a segue to savannah) in September 2014. Flights are booked to and from Australia. I'm interested in history, the southern way of life and of course the people.

Here's my plan:
Overnight in dallas on arrival.
Next morning, drive to natchez. 2 nights.
Then one night in mobile (not sure)
Then two nights in montgomery (open to suggestions)
Then savannah for three, then heading to atlanta to fly out.

How best to make the most of this short time? Any changes I should make?
Thoughts very welcome
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 05:37 AM

Do you have a special interest in going to Montgomery? You could go across to Jacksonville or St. Augustine FL and spend a bit less time driving and see a bit more time in your destinations.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 12:55 AM

It would be nice if you had more time, but you don't.

Here are some suggestions.

Arrive in Natchez, orient yourself, spend the night, tour a couple of houses or plantations to see how the rich white people lived before the Civil War. Spend the night.

Early next morning, drive toward Montgomery. Use the "avoid highways" function on Google Maps to stay off the motorways and see today's rural and small town South. If you make good time, detour slightly to Selma, the site of the great civil rights march. Approach Montgomery from there, as the marchers did. Spend the night, tour civil rights historical sites the next day, then perhaps get on the road for a couple of hours in the afternoon before stopping along the interstate highway for the night.

I think you should blast right past Atlanta and go to Charleston, South Carolina for a couple of nights. Then drive to Savannah, walk around, comparing the two small cities, spend the night, then off to Atlanta for your flight.

You will have to consider the weather. It will be hot and humid. It will also be hurricane season. Hurricanes are unpredictable. 2013 was supposed to be a bad year, and their were none of more than local significance. But you should be prepared to alter your route and destinations if one is predicted.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 03:44 AM

As suggested, omit Atlanta on the way over. In Montgomery be SURE to see the Civil Rights monument at the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM

One night/two days in Montgomery will be sufficient to see all there is to see there. Avoid Mobile -- it will take you out of your way. It is similar in feel to Savannah and Charleston.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:37 AM

On the way to Atlanta from Montgomery, stop at Tuskegee University. Lots of African-American history around there, including Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver. Then take US80 thru Columbus (Confederate Naval Museum, Fort Benning) to Macon where you can pick up I16 to Savannah.

I don't know that I'd skip Atlanta altogether-we have Civil War and Civil Rights stuff that is worth seeing, so take a day or so to see it before your flight.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Still say Charleston over Savannah, IF you have to choose between the two.
Atlanta--big congested city that eats up your short time. See your history in the small charming towns.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM

I would suggest looking into New Orleans. Skipping Montgomery. Going to St. Augustine as suggested above, then heading north to Savannah and onto Atlanta from there. I personally like Atlanta and there's a lot of southern charm there, but you just need to plan out what you want to do to avoid some of the headaches of Atlanta. Good luck!