From Savannah to Asheville via OBX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are planning a trip to GA, SC & NC in September. We plan to fly into Savannah, drive up the coast to Nags Head, then head inland to Asheville and fly home from there. We plan to spend about 10 days total.

We are early 60's, like seeking out local crafts, shopping, historic sights, quaint towns, nice accommodations (3 star and up, will splurge once or twice on vacation with a 5 star place).

I'd love some suggestions on what to see, which towns along our route are worth an overnight (or two), and suggestions on places to stay.

Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM

I think I calculate at least 2 days just "in the car, driving 8 hours just to get some place".
Is there a reason for Nag's Head? That is the cruncher.
Arriving and spending the night and perhaps part of the next day in Savannah is one.
Drive up to Charleston. Spending less than 2 days would really be sad. You arrive one night, spend the next two days and nights.
Just 50 miles up the road there is Georgetown and Pawley's Island area easily worth a night. Visit Brookgreen Gardens. Another night or so.
THEN drive 8 hours to Nag's Head.
And Nag's Head to Asheville is another 8 hours I'd guess, without looking. And is a ferry involved folks? Not sure.
Rather than Nag's Head, what about Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach.
You might want to do a Mapquest about the mileage and times.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I just picked Nags Head as a place to use to get some ideas. Any suggestions on a good place to stay farther south on OBX for a weekend in the middle of our trip?

We are firm on Asheville. Milage is not that bad. It's about 225 miles from Nags Head, so very doable for us.

Thanks again
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

No reason to drive all the way to Nags Head for beaches. In Savannah you're very close to some good beaches or hit Charleston as Gretchen suggested or www.ncbrunswick.com for some great NC islands.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:28 AM
LN

Hi

I hate to be a bearer of bad news BUT OBX to Ashville is actually 425 miles - over 7 hours.

If this is what you'd like then great but I wanted you to know the correct mileage.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

We are planning to do some driving in the OBX as we really enjoy just driving and walking along rugged coastlines and seeing lighthouses, wildlife, etc. We thought that the area might be nice for a weekend in the middle of our trip, just to relax.

I will recheck the mileage on the google website! I was sure they said 225 miles; 425 is just not worth it.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

LN,

Thanks for the heads up. I just rechecked google and you were right; 425 from the outer banks to Asheville. We have to rethink our itinerary.

Any suggestions for 10 days beginning with Savannah or Atlanta?
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I thought I gave you some suggestions. I don't mind if Asheville is firm, but I also suggested you end in Wilmington and then go to Asheville. The coast is quite beautiful with lots to do. I think travelling anywhere is more fun if you sort of experience the areas instead of passing through them. The beaches in SC and NC in September won't be desolate, but will not be busy, particularly during the week.
And Charleston really does deserve a few days. I consider it the most "European" of american cities in its charm and the ability to really enjoy walking. Not a big city in the historic area. And just exceptional regional cuisine like no other place on the coast.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
LN

Hi again

I love Savannah and Charleston and could eaily spend a few days there as we've always enjoyed the what they offer (especially Charleston). If you'd like a beach, you could give Hilton Head a few days and then head up toward Ashville and possibly take in the Smokey Mts. The mountains there are spectacular, not like the Rockies, but more misty and almost surreal at times. I enjoyed going to the Biltmore Home there.

If you're not spending much time in the hotel then the Sheraton and most others in its class should be fine. Many people love the Grove Park Inn just outside of Asheville but it's pricey $$$.

Have a wonderful visit!!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM

I humbly suggest you go back and read the excellent itinerary suggestions made by Gretchen, WannabeinaMontserrat, and LN.

You can make a fantastic 10 day trip centered on Savannah to start, then Charleston (and possibly a little further up the coast to the Wilmington area if you want to maximize your "beach" time versus inland time), and finishing up in Asheville.

The beauty of Savannah to Charleston to Asheville is that your driving will be miminal but you'll get to experience some of the best the Carolinas (and Georgia) have to offer.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Agree: Savannah, Charleston, Asheville is the best itinerary.

If you really want to add some driving time, you can add Wilmington between Charleston and Asheville, but I wouldn't.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I live an hour directly north of Asheville ... it's an all-day drive from here to the OBX. We did it in May, and spent the entire week there exploring lighthouses, shipwrecks, and the different towns. IMO, it's not a place for just one or two nights.

If driving from Charleston to Asheville on I-26, you can stop in Columbia and visit the state capitol building.