Visiting Cape Cod

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Cape Cod

Need your advice: we are going to be in Boston in the beginning of August for 2,5 days and wish to see Cape Cod. However, we will have a chance to see it on our driving way to NY (starting in the morning and planning to be in NYC at about 8 pm).
What do you think the best way to enjoy Cape Cod within 4 or 5 hours?
Thanks.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Cape Cod, for most people, is not something to "see" - as there are few what people call "attractions" and most east/west roads are not really along the ocean. Instead, people go to spend a few days or weeks, relax, go to the beach, do some casual shopping, visiting antique shops, dine - that sort of thing. So I would not take a detour to/from NYC to spend 4-5 hours on the Cape.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, gail. We would be happy to spend there a week if we could so. But I suppose that something is better than nothing. Short time and wish to be there are the reasons for my inquiry.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:44 AM

If you must say you have been there and you only have 4-5 hours, then you must concentrate on the Western portion of the Cape - it can take 2 hours on a busy day just to drive one-way to Provincetown, the end of the Cape.

So I would start by doing a search here on towns such as Falmouth and Sandwich. How do you want to spend you few hours - beach, eat, shop?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 04:31 AM

To see the most attractive part of the Cape in the time you have, take Route 3 south from Boston. As soon as you get off the bridge over the Cape Cod Canal, go into the town of Sandwich. The downtown area is very attractive and will make a good place to stop for coffee after you have driven down from Boston.

From Sandwich, continue east on 6A, also known as the King's Highway. It is a narrow, twisty, two lane road that passes through charming villages, beautiful houses, and more antiques shops than you have ever seen. The further you go, the better it gets. Stop as often as you like and feel you have time for.

Many roads off to the left will take you to the water, but most beach areas have resident only parking, so you won't be able to take a walk on the beach.

When you feel that you are running out of time, somewhere between Barnstable and East Dennis, take a road to the right signposted for US 6. 134 in East Dennis is about as far as you will get.

Follow US 6(4 lane limited access highway) back across the bridge, then south to Bourne where you follow signs for 25-I195-I495. Get off at the I-95 exit which will take you to Providence, Connecticut, and NY.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 05:32 AM

I agree with gail. To me, one of the great things about Cape Cod is the beaches - esp. on the national seashore, but you don't have time but to drive out there, look at them, and come back.

Also, that drive from Boston to NYC can take quite a while IF you hit some major traffic, which is always a possibility on this route. Consider if you want to do hours of driving on the Cape, to hit a wall of traffic to NY.

An alternative would be to stop at Newport, RI for 5 hours. That's on your way, you can walk some of the Cliff Walk, even have time to tour a mansion.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM

We spent a week on Cape Cod two years ago and enjoyed the visit. As I recall, it took us about an hour to cross the bridge over the Canal and get on Cape Cod proper. One of the most fun places we went was the Edward Gorey House at Yarmouthport www.edwardgoreyhouse.com
I think the best way to see the Cape is to ride a bicycle on the Rail Trail. Since you don't have time for that, I agree with the suggestion that spending time in Newport RI and walking along the Cliff Walk will be fun
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:41 AM

You want

http://www.edwardgoreyhouse.org/
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I will echo the thoughts of others....4 hours is not really long enough experience Cape Cod, so a better bet would be to skip Cape Cod and go to Newport.

Ackislander had great advice if you do decide to drive to the Cape. You will get a feeling for the developed upper cape area with the Sandwich-Dennis itinerary. Save the National Seashore beaches and outer-cape towns for a longer visit.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:58 AM

one important question...what day of the week do you plan to do this? If its midweek, fine. If its Friday-Sunday, you will not be happy. You will not be able to do it and get to New York without unbearable traffic somewhere.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I plan to be there on Friday, August 8th. Being on one of the beaches is desirable too (depends on weather, of course). We can start early in the morning and wish to be in NY until 8 pm.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 03:59 PM

When we visit Cape Cod, we always leave (from Phila.) on a Sunday and come home on a Friday. We always skip Sat. b/c we've heard horror stories about the traffic.

Heading toward NYC on a Friday is horrific. It takes us 6.5 hours to get to Cape Cod on a Sunday, and at least 8 hrs. to get home on a Friday. We hit a ton of traffic around the Tappen Zee - we don't even consider the Geo. Washington.

We find the traffic around the Tappan Zee builds up around 2:00pm.

In my opinion, for Cape Cod, the best beaches are the National Seashore with their dramatic dunes, but we also like the beaches on Cape Cod Bay. I don't think a beach visit is doable in 4-5 hours.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Route 6A is a lovely ride .. with lots of stopping and shopping if that is what you after .. If you travel 6A as far as Dennis .. I would suggest you stop at Mayflower Beach .. it is lovely .. it will be crowded if the weather is good .. You can pay to park if you have the time .. you will not need a resident sticker as long as you pay the parking fee .. There is a snack bar/rest rooms .. If you are just looking tell the attendant there and they will let you look for a few minutes .. You can travel along Rt 6a and stop for a lunch break at the Marshside .. right at the intersection of Rt 134 and Rt 6A .. take a left .. it is just down on your right .. If you travel down a little further and take a right onto Sesuit Neck Road .. you can head toward the Sesuit Neck Cafe .. (right behind the Yacht Club) very casual .. you sit outdoors .. but right on the beach .. food is really terrific .. enjoy a lobster roll .. or a hamburger .. but again casual .. outdoors .. not great on a rainy day ..
I would encourage to listen for traffic reports .. Friday can be a difficult travel day .. Boston or NYC .. but overall even a little Cape is better than no Cape ..
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks, I forsee the troubles. However, I would be able to modify my itinerary: visiting Cape Cod on Wednesday on my way from NY to Boston starting from NY very early. Do you think it is more doable than my initial idea?
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:25 AM

How early would you be leaving NY? As many on here have said, I am not sure how much you will be able to see on the Cape in 1 day to make it worthwhile. I think its more doable now than your original plan but you need to be on the road very early.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

As to me I would be ready to start over as early as possible. But it depends on a car renting company where I am going to pick up a car. I suppose that it would be real to start at 7 o'clock.
I realize that I should spend a week on Cape Cod to enjoy it but we cannot afford it because we have our first visit to the USA and wish to see different places in 3 weeks.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Better plan .. start as early as you can .. but I wouldn't stress .. Cape Cod is a wonderful place and it will be here long after you and I .. Get the feel of the Cape .. and enjoy your time on Cape .. take a look at a couple of the beaches .. eat at one of the restaurants .. I mentioned Marshside .. has a lovely view of the marsh and or Sesuit Harbor Cafe .. right on a small sandy beach/marina .. Do see Mayflower Beach .. the further down you go the better the beaches really .. but Mayflower is a lovely beach and many people who come to the Cape come and spend a day at Mayflower just to see it ..
As I said in an earlier post .. a little time on the Cape is far better than no time on Cape .. and be sure to make plans to come back again .. Enjoy !
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM

yes, Bostock, Wednesday is definitely a better idea. the traffic will be lighter on both ends of the trip.