Southern road trip advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate some advice for a road trip I am about to take. I will have 5 days in early August to join a friend on his cross-country trip, and I am trying to decide which leg. Specifically, choice 1 is to meet him in Wilmington, NC and to drive as far as Savannah, GA (and to fly home from there). The other choice is to meet him in Jacksonville, FL (or perhaps Tallahassee) and travel with him to New Orleans. So I guess my question is: If you had to choose one stretch in the South to see over a 5-day trip in early August, would you choose the Atlantic Southeast coast, or the Gulf Coast? Thanks so much for any advice!!

Matt
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:40 AM

The drive from Jacksonville and/or Tallahassee to New Orleans is a boring one, I-10 all the way. The drive from Tallahassee to New Orleans only takes 6 hours, but if you are looking for places to stop along the way, your choices would be Panama City, Destin, Biloxi and Gulfport.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks srj. Are those cities/towns worth seeing? I've never been to the area (nor have I been to the SC coast). I imagine we would try to travel off of the interstate as much as possible, but do you have much of a choice? Thanks.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:08 AM

IN August,you are more prone to hurraines in the gulf--

I would stick to Wilmington to Savannah--
stop at Myrtle Beach,SC, Pawleys Island, Sc- Charleston , SC -Kiawah SC--Hilton Head,SC and then end in Savannah...

It is less driving and very picturesque in all the cities except Myrtle Beach, which is a GREAT Beach town with tons to do ( esp if you like Country Music)

Charleston is my MOST favorite city..even more so than New Orleans...

BOTH CHARLESTON and NEW ORLEANS will be hotter than blazes in August- as in stifling humidity
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:17 AM

meant to write Hurricaines....sorry for the typo
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:19 AM

I would definitely do the drive from Wilmington to Savannah. The Brunswick County Beaches are beautiful like Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach my favorite. You will get off of 17 south to get a look at these places though well worth it. The drive through Myrtle Beach is worth it too a lot to see!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Seems like the consensus is in favor of the Carolina coast. Thanks much.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Ok, since I'm a gulf coast girl I have to weigh in.

In August, you are just as likely to have a hurricane come from the Atlantic and hit the south east coast since those waters have warmed up by then.

I assumed in my previous post that you just wanted to know about the drive from Jacksonville/Tallahassee to New Orleans, I didn't realize you were making many stops along the way. If you took Hwy. 98 instead of I-10, you would have a great drive along the Gulf. You would be passing through some of Florida's best beaches: clear emerald green water and fine white sand.

Plus, if you've never been to New Orleans, you should give it a try. It has tons of great restaurants and bars and plenty of things to see.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:54 AM
GoTravel

Keep to the main highways and interstates as much as possible unless you enjoy turning an 8 hour trip into a 12 hour trip.

Those small towns start looking exactly the same after the third time you have to slow down to 35 miles an hour for 10 miles. By the time you hit the umpteenth podunk town, you will be ready to slit your wrists.