Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston or New Orleans?

Which city did you enjoy the most?
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:30 PM

It really depends on who/how/and what...who is going...how many and what ages. Charleston is beautiful..I am from Savannah, Ga. and I go often just to get out of town. The town has a nice vibe and a lot to see. New Orleans was fun but overrated. A lot of bars and stuff in French Quarter/Bourbon St. but they are all pretty much the same. The tours aren't that great either. but a hell of a fun town.. give me more of a detailed question about your travel desires and I can give you more accurate answers
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

It takes 11 hrs. to drive to Charleston. Is it worth it? I've read great things about Charleston, Wild Dunes and Kiawah Island. Do you think 2 nights in Charleston and 2 nights at the beach are enough? Are you familiar w/Elliott House?
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:13 AM

I think Charleston is our most "European style" city--you can walk the historic district, have great food at wonderful restaurants, see and feel a lot of history. The beaches nearby are beautiful. And while the 2 and 2 time isn't real long, you will have a good time.
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:38 AM

Just back from NO - We stayed in Chateau lemoyne in the French Quarter (venturing away from the FQ to the Garden District on the streetcar - the houses here are awesome) . I really enjoyed New Orleans. Bourbon St was a bit disappointing. There are many romantic restaurants too, as written about in my report. River trip, swamps, plantations - great fun. I would say New Orleans, but I havent been to Charleston, so I can't speak up for it! If you click on 'EnglishOne' my report will be there if you want to take a look.

Old May 20th, 2003, 06:52 AM

I love New Orleans. Anyone who says it's overated clearly doesn't know how to spend their time (kind of like folks who think Mardi Gras is about showing your stuff!).

New Orleans has the best food, the best music, plantations, and great swamp tours (you want a small fan boat - not some big group tour with 30 people). It is a magical city that has a feeling all it's own. I used to live there as a child and go back any chance I get.

I'm sure Charleston is nice, but I can guarantee it's no New Orleans!!
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:04 AM
GoTravel

While I love New Orleans, Charleston is cleaner and has better shopping and dining. As Gretchen wrote, it has a definite European feel to the city.

Old May 20th, 2003, 08:08 AM

I love Charleston. It has great restaurants and is lovely to walk in. The Elliott House is where we've stayed twice and will again. You have to know that some of the rooms are very small though.
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM

English One, did you wear your "fanny pack?"
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:50 AM

I love everyones descriptions of Charleston as a European style.... I would think most Europeans would balk at you calling Charleston anything more than "old south". Anyway, they are both great places. I have visited both numerous times. Anyone who tells you New Orleans is overrated didn't do it right ;-). The place is crazy, and offers great music, food, and culture found no where else in the country. That being said, there is no beach in NO, and Kiawah is really plush. I say, check out it is a push either way. Have a blast.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Diana - I took great delight in saying loudly 'have you got your fanny pack on darling" and nobody batting an eyelid....

Bill n Ted - NO is crazy, but so are most holiday resorts in Europe, and most towns in UK... I 'larged it up' on Bourbon St and the Jazz was cool but 'seen it, done it....'

Also, I can drink most americans under the table! amp; Fighting talk, eh??!!
and I'm a woman!! Three hurricanes and they're anybodys!
We can't help it - its our 'pub' culture that's to blame....

Ok, ok.....!! Just having a laugh with ya!! Also, I agree with your 'european' comments - when I go to USA, the USA is what I think I'm getting (and all I want!), it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to go to the continent if I wanted european! So thank goodness I found NO was great Southern stuff!

(I only found americans commenting on a 'european' feel).
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:53 AM
GoTravel

Why does Charleston have a European feeling? Cobblestone narrow streets, architecture, shops, many Europeans during tourist season, world class art and music during Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto, lots of small charming hotels. I've been to several cities in Europe and that is what it reminds me of.

Old May 21st, 2003, 05:36 PM

Snowrooster. Like I said..hell of a fun city. I guess I called it overated because I am from a similar city. Not much different than savannah except new orleans is louder and dirtier.
Sorry laplaya-I don't know much about the elliot house. Charleston has more of an "old south" relaxed feel. But savannah has more of the New on Old look. New paint but you can still see the "Old" ghosts shining through. You can really "feel" savannah while you are here
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM

and snow rooster. If you think new orleans has "the best food" or "the best music" or "the best tours" then you "clearly" have not broadened your southern travel horizons. I thought NO was the city of gumbo. Their gumbo was the blandest I've ever had. Their tours were incaccurate. -I don't think mardi gras came from France and this is what they told us. and I really didn't hear any jazz while I was there. Just really bad coverbands...Yes...it is overrated!
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:32 PM

Well, have been to NO several times and hope to never have to go back there. 2 Nites in a row I was eating in different restaurants and both times had the most enormous cockroaches roaming around (one across the floor - the other up my chair leg) and both times the waiters just laughed and said "Welcome to nawlins!" (Now I've lived in Houston and now in Charleston and am not a neophyte when it comes to seeing roaches!).

We have lived all over the U.S. for the past 35 years and have settled in Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms, SC (barrier island near Charleston). There are wonderful restaurants, decent (not outstanding) beaches, kind genteel people, and a lot of laid-back things to do.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY!!!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
GoTravel

Carol, what you encountered were probably not cockroaches but Palmetto Bugs. Living in IOP you will find out quickly they invade the nicest and cleanest homes and there is nothing you can do about them. How to tell the difference between Palmetto Bugs and cockroaches? Palmetto Bugs are much much larger and they fly.

Old May 27th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Blueaguave, how would you compare Charleston & Savannah for living in? (I'm a New Orleanian about to relocate.)
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:57 AM

GoTravel - I always thought the difference between cockroachs and Plametto bugs was that if they were in your house they were Palmettos, in somebody else's house they're cockroaches..........
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM

I love both Charleston and New Orleans. In fact, when speaking to someone who has never been to New Orleans, I describe it as a "dirty Charleston." Both cities have fabulous food, great walking districts, and interesting histories. I do feel safer in Charleston, and it is much cleaner than New Orleans. When it comes down to it, though, I prefer New Orleans for partying and Charleston for relaxation and its nearby beaches.
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:09 PM
GoTravel

ccolor, I stand corrected.