Memphis or somewhere else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were thinking about heading to Memphis for a long weekend in April(flying out of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale), but I was wondering about options. Everyone seems to rave about Charleston, S.C., but I'm wondering what you do in Charleston?

Memphis would be the longest distance I'd want to travel. New Orleans is a possibility. Not interested in a beach or resort because we live in Naples.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We're in our 30s, like live music, hate dance clubs, and will be child-free on our trip. Budget is flexible.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Skip Memphis. We're there fairly often, and it's not remotely as nice or as interesting as Charleston or New Orleans. Savannah is another option, but I prefer Charleston to it.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM

It depends on your interests. What makes you interested in going to Memphis in particular? If you're going for the blues, barbecue or Beale Street, then Memphis is probably a good choice. If you're just trying to find somewhere for a spring vacation, my personal choice would be Charleston. I've never been to New Orleans so can't comment, but I do love Charleston.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Go to Charleston! My hubby and I went over Easter (April) a couple of years ago and loved it. The restaurants are fantastic and the weather was perfect. Flowers everywhere...didn't want to go home.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Charleston is a beautiful historic city with gorgeous gardens in the spring (this last probably doesn't sound as exciting to you from Fla as it does to me from Vt)

For people interested in music I would say either Memphis or New Orleans would make sense. For overall tourism including great food, beautiful architecture, New Orleans
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I rather enjoyed seeing Memphis- however I didn't enjoy listening to music or going out much because neither Memphis nor Nashville has any good smoke free venues, except for concert halls. Correct me any Volunteers out there, cause I know that there must be exceptions. If you're coming from Florida, this may be disoncerting to you. I wonder oif you've priced tickets from there as well- Memphis always was expensive for us as an option.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Nashville has a couple of smoke-free clubs, and an ordinance was passed this summer that basically makes all restaurants smoke-free, I think. So some music venues (like 3rd & Lindsley) that serve food are smoke-free. (The bigger clubs, like Mercy, Cannery and Exit/In, are still definitely smoky, though!)

However, I can't remember if that was a city or state ordinance, so may not apply to Memphis.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I have been to Memphis once and am in no hurry to go again. Graceland was the highlight for us; Beale Street was a disappointed - small and uneventful (in our opinion). I do admit that eating at Elvis Presley's Memphis was a very memorable and delicious treat.

If you really want the music, head to New Orleans. We enjoyed that much more than Memphis.

I agree with the previous posters that Charleston is spectacular (sights, the waterfront, food, etc.), though we like Savannah just a tad bit more.

Ahhh, you just brought back such nice memories.

Have fun and be safe wherever you go.