Southern California beach Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am loking for a good beach vacation in s. California for a family. Would like good resaurants and shopping near by.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:40 AM

My relatives have gone to Carlsbad for years and say it is now trendy. I don't know what's the draw as I've never gone but you might check it out.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:40 AM
hsv

Laguna Beach has very pretty beaches and is an artsy community featuring a couple of good restaurants (e.g. the one in Surf and Sand Hotel) and good lodging options. rjw, who might tune in on this, is a real expert in this area.

Further down South, I like Del Mar, just North of La Jolla. A very upscale but laid back beach town with a few nice lodging options ranging from moderate (e.g. Best Western Stratford Inn or Del Mar Hilton North San Diego) to pretty much upmarket (L'Auberge Del Mar). Nice restaurants here, too like Jake's for a nice lunch or Il Fornaio for good quality Italian cuisine. The town is of more residential than touristy character if you catch my drift.

La Jolla, obviously, would be another option. Much more lively than Del Mar with a wide variety of lodging options and even more manifold dining options (let's mention once again the obvious dinner at George's at the Cove.
For shopping there are, apart from the shops by the cove, the two malls at University Towne Center. The outlet center in Carlsbad is also not too long a drive away. Everything concerning shopping is valid for Del Mar by the way, too.

Finally there would be the old classic beach vacation at the Hotel Del Mar on Coronado right off the coast of downtown San Diego. Located right on one of California's most beautiful streches of beach, you will be able to relive the grandeur of days long gone by in other locations. The Del comes at a price but is certainly not to be ruled out if you can swing it. There are a couple of nice restaurants found in the close vicinity (on premises for formal dining and gorgeous Sunday brunches the Crown room, next door a Chart House and some good Mexican grub). For shopping you might cross the bay by ferry or car to get to Horton Plaza in downtown.

If you prefer going a bit North, there is Santa Barbara North of Los Angeles, sort of the gateway to Southern California and featuring a pleasant climate along with good lodging (in the suburb of Montecito there is the Four Seasons Biltmore, which is old but charming and across from a strech of beach and separated only by a small road). Restaurant options, too, are manifold (including Citronelle for upscale dining). The beach, however, sometimes is infested with some tar (at least when I was there). But not much of a problem.

Enjoy your time in SoCal!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM

hsv: Awww, I wouldn't say "expert"-- I simply live up the coast from Laguna (in gritty Long Beach-- great to live in, not a great vacation destination yet). But thanks for the boost!

Laguna Beach is indeed wonderful. It's also popular with locals as well as out-of-state visitors, so summers see huge crowds on Main Park Beach and on the streets, in the galleries, etc. As you head north or south from the most congested areas of Laguna, you'll find more secluded coves for quiet sunning and ocean dips. For serious body surfing or board surfing, the waves are pretty good, but if you want the big stuff, head north to Huntington Beach.

Another summertime attraction is the Laguna Beach Festival of the Arts, as well as the world-famous Pageant of the Masters (a big-budget exhibition of tableaux vivants-- note that it's selling out for 2004 as we speak, and it doesn't open till June!).

Lots of good restaurants in Laguna, and there's shopping in the city proper as well as just north in Newport Beach. The massive South Coast Plaza is 20 minutes away in Costa Mesa; think Rodeo Drive and NYC's Fifth Avenue combined in one huge mall. You'll find golf courses to the south in Dana Point.

Huntington Beach is Surf City, and a fun town in the summer. VERY crowded beaches on weekends. Excellent surfing, whether riding the waves or just watching. Lots of stuff for families to do as well. About 20 minutes north of Laguna.

Disneyland, if you're curious, is about half an hour to 45 minutes from these places in ugly ol' Anaheim. Knott's Berry Farms, roughly the same travel time away in Buena Park. Universal Studios is up in Universal City, about an hour away. And Six Flags Magic Mountain will be some 90 minutes up in Valencia. Just FYI.

I'll also back up people suggesting beaches in San Diego County, i.e., Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Jolla, San Diego, Coronado Island. Santa Barbara too! Santa Monica is a possibility, although it's overpriced (I know, I work there). Still, wherever you choose, I think you'll end up having a great time!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What sort of luxury level are you looking for, Anne? There are beach locations ranging from beachfront resorts costing hundreds per room per day, down to Priceline resources walkable from the beach, or 5 min. drive, that cost - relatively speaking - peanuts. For example, in Newport Beach (close to the South Coast center mentioned) we regularly stay at the Hyatt Newporter. Not on the beach (on the "back bay" technically but with plenty of sunning/swimming resources and only a few min. drive from numerous beaches on the ocean), the Newporter is a resort complex with beautiful grounds, good restaurants, and very low prices via Priceline (see www.biddingfortravel.com for pointers.) It's right across the road (drive, but 1 min.) from Fashion Island, a very upscale mall featuring everything up to and including Nieman Marcus and Bloomie's.

If you want a more citified setting, think about Manhattan or Hermosa Beaches, right in metro LA. Seldom crowded, great sand and surfing, funky shops nearby, close to LAX, easily reachable from Venice, Santa Monica, and not too far from other LA attractions.

Or look at Mission Bay around San Diego. No waves (but readily available on Mission/Ocean/Pacific Beaches, communities on the "outside" of the bay) but a couple of family resorts, some with rooms opening onto the sand and the lagoon. Look at the Bahia for an example. It's at the other end of the spectrum from Shutters (Santa Monica) or the Hyatt Huntington Beach (mega-resort), but it might do well for you.

One final note - be aware of the "June Gloom" phenomenon. Many SoCal beaches are foggy and overcast up to and sometimes through the 4th of July, so if you're planning on sun and sand in June, think twice.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions, this will be the last stage of a larger trip at the beginning of June. My brother, siter-in-law and 3 kids ages 14,10 & 3 are flying into LA from Europe where my husband and I will meet them. Then we will spend 4 days in LA, 3 days in las Vegas and then we are looking for somewhere to spend 8 days relaxing by a beach.
Luxury level, we would like to keep the cost under $230 per room per night. We don't care if the Hotel is on the beach but we would like to be able walk to beach, restaurants etc. We were thinking either Santa Barbara (seems pricey) for the type of place we would like or San Diego area or Newport Beach area - i have no idea. Also would like the place to have a good pool. Please help. thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
jd

There is an Embassy Suites Beach Resort Mandalay Bay,located about an hour south of Santa Barbara that looks nice, has a pool, and is on the beach. I have not stayed here, but drove by it and it seemed nice.
Also the HarborView Hotel in Santa Barbara is nice. It is across the street from the ocean, and has a nice pool.
One of my favorite hotels is the Beach House in Hermosa Beach.There is no pool here though, only a hot tub.Its on a great stretch of beach,and on the "strand" where the kids can bike, rollerblade, or walk for miles.(beach-house.com. Also you can walk to restaurants and stores.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, with your additional info, I think Del Mar or La Jolla are your best bets. Unfortunately, many beach area hotels in San Diego don't have great pools because the beach is right there.

In La Jolla, the only hotels where you can really walk to the beach are the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Resort and its sister hotel, the Sea Lodge. While there are a couple of very good restaurants and some small shops nearby, you would have to drive to the main shopping and eating area of La Jolla.

In Pacific Beach there is the Pacific Terrace Hotel which is right on the boardwalk and has a pool and gets high praise here from people who have stayed there.

As gardyloo pointed out, you are almost certainly going to experience "June Gloom" which can be pretty chilly at the beach, so you might want to consider staying further inland,where it will be warm and sunny, and driving to the beach.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
DB

><
Take a look at these:

http://huntingtonbeach.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=HUBWHHF
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
hsv

anne,

one correction on my former post: it should be the Hotel Del Coronado, not the Hotel Del Mar- had been talking too much about Del Mar, probably, which might explain the mixed up terms.

rjw, being humble is certainly honorable, but your advice in the area usually cannot be discussed. Thus, at least for me you definetly are THE expert on this.

With your specifications in mind, anne, I would try the Hotel Del Coronado and the Auberge Del Mar. Both of them should suit you fine. Prices might slightly exceed that limit, though, but probably deals can be found.
The Hyatt in Huntington certainly is an option, too, as is the Hyatt Newporter in Newport Beach. With Fashion Plaza just a few minutes away, this might cater ideally to your shopping ambitions.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:06 AM
jd

I agree that the hotel Del Coronado is a nice hotel, with a nice pool and beach, but we did not exactly find it "kid friendly" when we were there last year.If you do stay here with kids, I would suggest staying in the newer hotel type building-that way you can enjoy all the hotel has to offer,and not have to worry about bothering guests in the more formal, older main building.The walls in the old building are very thin, and you could here every crying or loud kid. We heard many hotel guests complaining to management about this-one couple was so mad they were leaving early.