SanDiego up to Malibu

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SanDiego up to Malibu

Hi,
Can you tell me what are things that shouldn't be missed starting in San Deigo then traveling north up towards the malibu area.
Possibly planning on a 5 night trip, where would be good stops to stay over night?
Was thinkin of staying in LaJolla while in the San Diego area.
Any places going north that I could stay at on the water? Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

First things first: Look at a map.

San Diego and Malibu are about 150 miles apart. That is, it takes about three hours to get from one to the other, excluding side trips. Not an epic journey.

Having said that, the largest city in California is between the two towns (frankly a more interesting city than both the others, but no one listens to me on this issue)-- actually, there are dozens of cities between San Diego and Malibu, not just Los Angeles--, as well as some gorgeous coastline. You could break up the trip with a night in Orange or LA County.

Why are you considering San Diego and Malibu as your points of interest in the first place? That will point us in the proper direction of suggestions to make. If it's just pretty beaches-- well, the coast drive between San Clemente and Long Beach will lead you to Laguna Beach, easily one of the most charming coastal cities in southern CA. There are places "on the water" (usually on bluffs overlooking the sands), but note: They tend to be expensive.

Up in LA County, Hermosa Beach would be a relaxed stop, and I can think of one place on the water: The Beach House.

Have you already got lodging in Malibu? It's not exactly teeming with hotels. There are only a couple of nice ones, and they're not cheap.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't understand the question - well I do understand it but don't "get" it. As rjw_lgb_ca says this isn't a stretch that requires multiple overnights.

What is the rest of your itinerary like - or are you just spending these 5 nights in CA?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM

Hi Donna,

Laguna Beach would be nice place to stop or stay on your trip. I would also suggest visiting Balboa Island and taking the ferry over to Balboa and Newport beach. We really like Disneyland so that is always on our list when we are in Orange County. We live in Santa Monica now and really enjoy it. Nice shopping on Montana Avenue. It is fun to go to the beach to see the pier and have a Hot Dog on a Stick at the original one.

We have stayed at Casa Malibu in Malibu and liked it very much. It is very simple but right on the beach.
One of my favorite places in Malibu is the Adamson House. It was the showplace home of the owners of the 1920's Malibu Tile Company. The tours are worthwhile and very interesting.

If you have extra time I would suggest continuing on to Santa Barabara. It is a lovely little town with beautiful beaches.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hi Donna:

In San Diego:

Balboa Park (zoo, museums, walk around, lunch at the Prado)
Coronado Island (take ferry there and back from downtown - rent bikes at ferry landing - visit Coronado's Hotel Del)
Gaslamp district - shopping, restaurants – stop by Seaport village (very touristy, but cute)

La Jolla - see the seals at Children's Beach - shops - great restaurants - have a glass of champagne at the top of the cove during sunset - visit the contemporary art museum for great art and beautiful views - stop at the glider port to see people jump off the edge of a cliff and soar above the ocean- hike at Torrey Pines for incredible surf views and interesting terrain.

Pacific Coast Highway – this takes you north through several beautiful beach towns (Solana Beach, Cardiff by the Sea, Oceanside), each with their own character, great restaurants, shops). One of my favorite places to walk around and take in the area is the Meditation Gardens in Encinitas: http://radified.com/encinitas/gardens/index.htm). Swamis Cafe, across the street, is a wonderful spot for a healthy, casual, and delicious lunch (outside).

Farther north, Laguna Beach is not to be missed. Try Xaviers for great Mexican food. Beautiful beach, great shops/galleries.

Also, Santa Monica, Venice Beach are really fun to walk around - both with very different characters and flavors.

This is a very broad representation, since your post didn't provide a lot of context about your likes/dislikes, but these are some of our favorites in the area.