Reload this Page >

HELP roadtrip with dog

Search

HELP roadtrip with dog

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:38 PM
gyppielou

HELP roadtrip with dog

thinking of taking a roadtrip this summer and have never been to north or south carolina....someone said the outerbanks, but where that is secluded to have fun with the dog, where to stay, what to see? Not into the honkytonk kinda thing for this trip, more into quiet pet friendly areas. thanks to anyone with ideas....also, Charleston- pet friendly place? And where to spend a night or two and what to see/////a very loaded question, I realize, but going into very new territory! Thanks for any ideas

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Travel-Aid

Since you are unsure at this point exactly which of the Carolina's you'll be visiting, I'll just offer a few websites:

www.petswelcome.com

www.travelingdogs.com

www.travelpet.com

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Travel-Aid

Here's another website which lists hotels/motels that accept pets:

http://www.planet-pets.com/lodging.htm

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Gretchen

On another board where this question was posted re NC, a poster said that NC motels are forbidden to have pets. I live in NC and was not aware of that.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:38 AM
CF

Did you know that you can't visit FL and take your dog on the beach? I understand you have to be a permanent resident and pay big bucks to get a permit to be able to walk your dog on the beach.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Carol

Just got back this afternoon from a trip to Atlantic Beach, NC (near Morehead City). We stayed at the AmeriSuites (very nice!) along with our 8-week old puppy. I saw at least 5 other dogs there. Because there weren't any crowds, we were able to let her run on the beach.

We live in Isle of Palms, SC (near Charleston) and it is NOT pet friendly on the beaches. We're able to let the dog loose from 5:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. or you get ticketed $65.00. Also, downtown Charleston would not be a good place to travel with pets.

Good luck!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:08 PM
gyppielou

thanks for all your time and replies!!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:40 AM
Danna

If you have the time, Asheville and Charleston are both very nice. Gorgeous hiking in Pisgah forest near Asheville which is an interesting "hippie" town. Thus tolerant of dogs I assume.

Try Folly Beach near Charleston instead of Isle of Palms. I think they have leash restrictions as well, but the beach is more secluded, I have let my dogs run loose there no prob. Go to either end of the island.

I have a don't ask don't tell policy toward dog travel. I just stay in hotels or condos where you don't have to walk them through the lobby!

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The North Carolina statute prohibitting dogs in hotel rooms was repealed several years ago. Try www.dogfriendly.com and www.petswelcome.com for hotels in NC. During the summer a lot of the beaches restrict access by dogs. Best time to hit an NC beach with a dog would be Apr-May or Sept-Oct (probably the best time to hit our beaches without a dog, too!)
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the OBX 16 days after Isabelle, they were fiercly cleaing up so I am sure they are close to completion. On Ocracoke Island you can rent a beach house that allows your dog, we are looking into this for Oct 2004.