Hotels in San Diego

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in San Diego

Hi all! Some girlfriends and I are going to SD for Memorial Day weekend, and we're looking for options of places to stay in the downtown area. We have a discount at the Marina Marriott, but how close to downtown is that? Easily walkable?

What are some of the better hotels in the downtown area? I really know nothing about the San Diego, so give me everything you've got!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM

There is a Marriott downtown; don't know if it is the one you have a discount at. It is a very fine property and is right on the water. The Hyatt is another high end high rise right next door and is very nice as well. You can definitely walk everywhere from there.

Other nice properties are the Omni, Kimpton, and the Ivy. I think there is a newer Hilton as well near the ballpark, also on the water.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Here is a list of activities and areas to explore I had previously written:

I think of San Diego as a necklace that is a strand of jewels along the coastline spanning a strand of about 25 miles. This analogy came to me when I was house hunting for the first time and fell in love with so many different neighborhoods. The southernmost pearl is Coronado with lovely beaches and a tony quaint gorgeous town. There aren't many budget places to stay there but it is worth a visit. Just north of that is Point Loma/Ocean Beach and another few miles north is Pacific Beach/Mission Beach which is the classic image of the california culture with rollerbladers on the boardwalk, lots of very young people, and busy. It is not my favorite spot; a bit too young and edgy for me. I was never that young....lol.

Next neighborhood north is La Jolla which is just lovely. You should definitely take him to see the seals on their own beach. There is a walkway out into the water that looks back on them. La Jolla cove also has a nice beach you can swim in that is fairly sheltered and the village has great restaurants.

North of that is Del mar which is roughly where I live....another great beach and one you could walk for long distances. Great for building sand castles, etc., also with a lovely village center with shops and restaurants. Solana beach is another 2-3 miles north. The beach is less populated here and it has a train station stop that can take you to Disneyland or San Juan Capistrano. I highly recommend a train ride with your little boy if he likes trains. The views are fantastic and hard to get with any other way. The coaster is a good way to go that is less expensive; I think kids are free.

other points north are encinitas with a great beach (moonlight beach)....this is one of our favorite beaches because the waves are bigger for boogie boarding but your needs may be different. Beyond that is leucadia, then carlsbad then oceanside. So much to explore, eh?!

When he is older, my favorite recommendations are to hike the Torrey Pines state reserve beach path and to rent kayaks and do the La Jolla shores. We were surrounded by leopard sharks, it was so exciting! and I fell in the water, lol.

If you avoid rush hours, you can get to most places within half an hour. The gaslamp area which is the highlight of downtown and petco park are all south and close to the airport between coronado and Point Loma. The zoo is also in this area. Legoland is north near Carlsbad. The wild animal park is the greatest distance away but can still be reached within about 35 minutes north and inland.

I think you could stay in any of these areas and just get around by car....this is definitely a car town to see as much as possible. Hope this helps!

other beach options are 1) Del Mar for the best long distance walking beach in north county; coronado may be good as well, 2) moonlight beach in Encinitas is best for boogie boarding, they get better waves. Encinitas is a great strip to walk and browse shops and cafes.....many terrific breakfast and lunch options. We just ate at Luxus cafe which is best odds for not having to wait for a table (they are not as well known) and they have one of my favorite sandwiches around: prosciutto perfection ($9.50, with fries). 101 Diner is also great.

If you get to Encintas, stroll from Encinitas blvd along coast hwy 101 down to Hansens sportswear and Swami''s cafe. It is so nice.... I just got back from doing that. and stop at Bubby's in the Lumberyard(east side of the street) for the most amazing gelato. I just bought quarts of cardamom, vanilla rose, and honey lavendar. they really taste like rose and lavendar.

You can take a full day on that leisurely drive north. I would head from the village of La Jolla where you'll be staying and turn left and go through La Jolla Shores. Then take the winding road up hill which has lovely ocean views to the UCSD area at the top. Turn left again, I think the road is Genessee and you should end up on Hwy 101 which goes past the Torrey Pines golf course and state park. If you hike, it is hard to beat the Torrey Pines state park. Continue on to the village of Del Mar and stroll around the quaint but posh plaza and area. The views are fantastic from the plaza and at the L'auberge del mar hotel. Moving north, staying on Hwy 101, go to Solana beach and check out Cedros ave which is one short block east of Hwy 101 and parallels it. It is also very cool and fun shopping. If you are there on a Sunday, there is a farmers market there from 2-5 pm. Continue northbound with fantastic ocean views as you enter Cardiff and stop next Encinitas. Encinitas has a great village with shops and restaurants to stroll around. Moonlight beach is at the north end of this strip if you want to pause for a beach stop. You can turn east from here on Encinitas Blvd. to go to the Quail botanical gardens.

I think the above activities are already a full day. IF you still have time, you can get back to the Hwy 101 and continue on to Carlsbad and explore that village as well.

Have fun!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM

We liked the Omni very much. Ask for a corner room with a view. They are huge.

We stayed there when DH's conference was at the Hyatt, which is right across the way. Nice walks along the there, with shops and restaurants. Easy to walk to Gaslamp area, too, which is full of fun shopping, dining, bars.

Can also take a ferry to Coronado from there.

I also walked from Omni to an indoor shopping mall, whose name I forget.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM

The Marriott you mentioned is right on the water and completely walkable to everything. Another option would be the Hilton Bayfront. Just as walkable to everything.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM

>>Moving north, staying on Hwy 101, go to Solana beach and check out Cedros ave which is one short block east of Hwy 101 and parallels it>>

Nice suggestions ncounty!

I just wanted to add to your recommendation to check out Cedros Ave.

I would definately recommend Claire's on Cedros.

http://clairesoncedros.com/

This is a fantastic restaurant which serves the best breakfast and lunch. Right now they are open from 7-3 pm, but plan to open for dinner soon! You can also find great boutique shopping further south on Cedros. It's got lots of local shops.

http://www.cedrosavenue.com/
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Grand Hyatt for sure!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM

We've stayed at the Omni [complimentary upgrade to corner suite, it was Christmas and the place was empty] with views of LaJolla and ball park and it was really, really nice.

We also stayed at Courtyard just 2 blocks away from Omni and it was also really nice. They have a rooftop bar with great views of the ballpark, [can actually watch the game from it] and it has the most amazing firepits!!

The waterfront Marriott is exactly that, on the waterfront. It does involve walking a bit to get to Gaslamp district[ crossing a fairly busy road.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Omni was great. The thing that was annoying is the train runs right next to the hotel & kept us up the entire night. Maybe ask for a room on the other side (but you'll miss the views.)
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It is an easy walk from the Marriott Marina to the Gaslamp area. I prefer the Marriott over the Hyatt Marina. It is also right next to Seaport Village. I've also stayed at the Omni and liked it very much.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As has been pointed out, it is an easy walk from the Marriott into the gaslamp, etc. That Hyatt which is nearby has not gotten such great reviews on TA if that's any concern.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM

thanks Nanabee! Claire's is a lovely spot; such wonderful ambiance there. And I love Cedros; I try to do the Farmers market on Sundays when I can. The local apple and apple/cherry cider is hard to beat. They also recently had a vendor with Hawaiian food that was fantastic.