COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

nice hotels near legoland

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

nice hotels near legoland

I am traveling with my two kids, ages 8 and 11 and want a very nice hotel that is nearby. Wondering if LaCosta or Rancho Bernardo Inn would be better for a family. Traveling in October, staying Thurs. night thru Sunday. Also, what other San Diego amusement park would you recommend?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM

La Costa Resort is really nice and great for kids and adults..we stayed there last year and we live here.
Legoland might be too young for your kids..
We have Sea World, SD Zoo, SD Wild Animal Park, Belmont Park.
Four Seasons is lovely but don't think for kids is the best..
RBI is more for the active senior..good food though.
Grand Pacific Hotel in Carlsbad is right next door to Legoland and is pretty nice all suites hotel.
Grand Del Mar resort is 5* and plush.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM

Your 8 year old will be right on the cusp of being bored with Legoland. The 11 year old will probably be bored. More for younger/male children.

As ksucat mentioned, Zoo, SeaWorld etc. are wonderful. I would spend my time and $$ at those places.

MY
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM

This is still a good age for many kids. Last summer we went back to California after it had been a few years. My teenager refused to go to Legoland again but my 8-year-old son begged and begged. My husband gave in and we split forces. I took the teen elsewhere. My 10-year-old daughter decided to go to Legoland and she loved it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Would you recommend the zoo over the animal park?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM

I have stayed at La Costa and agree with Ksucat - good resort - good for families - nice if you are staying in Northern San Diego. I would pass on the RBI - they did do an entire make over and I was there over the summer and it is nice but really in an odd area.

SeaWorld and the Zoo would be my pick for your age children.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM
nlg

I don't know exactly where Lego Land is, but when we went to San Diego we stayed at the Homewood Suites Del Mar-it was great and would be wonderful with children. Breakfast and an evening meal(with beer and wine)is included. The suites have living room, bedroom and full kitchen. There is a pool also.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Hi Lori,

I think your kids' enjoyment of Legoland really depends on the kids. My then-12 year old boy enjoyed Legoland with our family. His brothers were 7 and 4 at the time. My boys are big Lego, Star Wars, Indiana Jones fans so it was a good fit for them.

You can't go wrong with either Sea World or the Zoo. Sea World is more "entertaining," but there is so much to see at the Zoo, I doubt your kids would be bored.

As for hotels, I toured the Grand Pacific and it looked very comfortable. Also has a cool water park for kids and I believe access directly to Legoland, making for a short walk.

Have fun!
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM

tt
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM

rainyday, the Grand Pacific was the one I mentioned on your thread right above Legoland, I couldn't remember the name. It looks ideal.