South Utah NPs during Memorial Day Wknd

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Ramon

South Utah NPs during Memorial Day Wknd

Hi all,
We plan to do a hurricane tour of the S Utah region during Memorial day weekend.
Heres the route we have planned:
Reach Grand Junction from Denver on Thursday night.

Day 1: Travel on I70 and Hwy 89 reaching Zion NP (350 miles)
Day 2: Zion and Bryce NPs. Stay in Bryce Park overnight.
Day 3. Travel on Hwy 12, Escalante and Capitol Reef NP, then travel on Hwy 24 & I70 to reach town called Brendel near Arches NP.
Day 4: Arches NP, Moab. Leave Moab by 2 PM for Denver.

Some of the questions we have are:
1. Can we travel using our sedan? Is 4X4 a must on any of the roads/trails?
2. Where can we stay near Arches NP?
3. Must-see things in Moab?

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Dayle

Hi Ramon!

As you say, this is a hurricane itinerary you have planned. Is your intention just to check things out for a future trip?

Honestly, I would just save Zion & Bryce for a future trip. Go to Moab for your 4 days. You could spend more than a week there & not see/do everything. Arches is just a couple miles from Moab.

I've never heard of the town of Brendle. Most people going to Arches/Moab stay in Moab if they are not camping.

If you don't already have reservations, you'll need some serious luck to get them at this point anywhere near the Natl Parks for Mem w/e, so hurry!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Paul Rabe

I totally agree with Dayle. The only reason to try to see six spectacular sights (you forgot Canyonlands) in three days is because you have a $500 bet that it can't be done. Okay, so it can; but why bother?

Make reservations for the MDW in the Moab area. Spend the weekend really experiencing Arches, Canyonlands, Fisher Towers, Deadhorse Point; rather than visiting sights just for the sake of saying you've been to them (which is all your present itinerary is doing). Hike into them, bike along some trails, take a boat ride, drive along some dirt roads (but **NOT** if it's raining). Unless a $500 bet is at stake, you'll be glad you did.

All of the NPS sites you list are well visitable with a standard car. Some of the dirt roads of Canyonlands should ONLY be attempted with an all-wheel vehicle (even in perfect weather), but you can rent one in Moab, or take a tour.

If you love action films, take a peek at the Stuntperson Museum in Moab.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Ramon

Hi again,
Thanks for your replies. I understand its a hurricane tour but thats bse we are not into hiking etc. It would be purely a sight-seeing tour.
Would appreciate if someone could tell us if there are any similarities in these national parks in terms of formations etc, so that we could skip one/two.
Which of these are a must-see.

All replies greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:31 AM
Dayle

Hi again Ramon,

Well, I really have no recommendations for you under these circumstances. I don't think you'll have any time to notice the differences between the parks, so choose or skip whatever ones you want.

Good luck!