Going to Boston for first time, need hotel help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:22 PM
texasgirl

After perusing the internet extensively,
we have thought about staying at Boston Harbor Hotel. Seems really nice, convenient, etc. However, I am unfamiliar with the whole Big Dig. Is that a bad area to be in at the moment (we will be there on April 11th)? Any advice as to best location to stay at or any fun bars/clubs/restaurants also appreciated! Thanks!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:51 PM
Donna

The Boston Harbor Hotel is magnificent. The place is positively splendid. While you do have to walk through a bit of construction to get to where you're going, that's no big deal.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:17 PM
eman

Love the Boston Harbor Hotel. If you fly in you can take the shuttle boat from the airport & avoid all sorts of traffic (it's the best way to travel)
Location is pretty convenient to lots of attractions and you can take the T (subway) everywhere else.
If you have time take the fast speed ferry to Provincetown for a great day trip

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Sandra

Texasgirl,

Great choice of hotel - right on the harbor and the ferry/shuttle from the airport is very convienent. As for the big dig - I think it sounds worse than it is to outsiders. It's an ongoing construction project that will have little impact on you when you visit. Streets get closed and traffic re-routed but the impact is on the locals who have to re-learn how to get places.

The hotel is on the harbor and if the weather is nice you might want to take some kind of boat tour. There are a number of different ones.

You'll be close to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and the North End. The North End has lots of wonderful Italian restaurants.

Boston is a wonderful city for walking and the Freedom Trail is a walk marked by a red line thru the city that takes you to different historic spots. I liked taking the Trolley which is one of those hop on hop off deals for about $12 that takes you around and gives you a little talk about the history/sights. Everyone loves the Duck Tours but I haven't done that yet.

I'm not into bars/clubs but I do like the Black Rose an Irish pub near Faneuil Hall. They usually have music and a nice crowd and the usualy irish pub food.

Enjoy your stay - bring some warm clothes - April can be cold - it's new england and you never know about the weather.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:23 AM
nospam

Since it is your first time there, I would recommend you stay at the Bostonian, which is right across from Fanueil Hall, you don't have to deal with taking the t or walking far.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:54 AM
ken

Sandra, you mentioned the trolley as a good way to get around. Would you please tell me more about it? Any similar hop on hop off options? Thanks
Ken

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:00 AM
gail

The Trolley tours are similar to what they have in many cities - drives around, hop on or off at various places. Narration can be quite corny but gives some useful info about city. Tickets/info at Visitors Center in downtown.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:05 AM
Leslie

Ken, the trolley tour, is actually a sightseeing tour, with a hop on/hop off feature, so that you can go into some of the venues (eg. the Constitution). If that's not for you, then stop off at the Tourist Office kiosk on Tremont Street for a T-map (there is also one in South Station). You can purchase a T-pass for either a day or a week at the T-stops. You should also be able to get the brochures from the concierge in your hotel. Boston is a decent walking city, supplemented by the T, so I suggest Ducktours -- it is quite a bit of fun.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:48 AM
Liam

I am curious, Texasgirl, how was the hotel and your stay? Did you navigate the Big Dig OK? If you are back and are up for a trip report, let us know. Thanks.