boston

May 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

boston

has anyone stayed in boston recently and what do you think of the boston harbor hotel?
May 31st, 2003, 09:29 PM

Are you looking for suggestions on where to stay? I have never stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel but I hear it is pricey. My husband and I usually stay at the Hotel Meridien in Post Office Square, they have great service and a fantastic jazz Sunday brunch. What exactly are your other (if any) questions?
May 31st, 2003, 10:18 PM

We've visited the dining rooms and cocktail lounge of the Boston Harbor Hotel many times. This is one swanky place - gorgeous inside and out, nicely located on a wharf.

Here's another recommendation for the Meridien (where we've stayed most recently for ridiculously low rates with Hotwire).
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your reply. My husband and I and the kids are looking for a nice hotel nearby all the attractions. We are considering whether to be on the wharf or copley square location.
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:54 PM

I have not stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel but I have eaten there and it is a beautiful hotel. I don't see how you could go wrong staying there. Boston is easy to get around with the public transportation and taxis.
I used to work next to the Meridien and that too is beautiful! RIght near Downtown Crossing.
IMHO, pick either of these 2 places and you will do great. If I had my pick of the two, i think my first choice would be the Boston Harbor Hotel, just becaseu it is right on the water and so pretty and "Boston-y"
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:57 PM

if you can afford the Boston harbor Hotel stay there. You are next to the harbor cruises (the harbor islands are a must see)the harborwalk, Quincy Market, Aquarium, and the North End. There is a T stop close by to go to other parts of the city. It's probably a mile walk to the Boston Common with plenty of shopping and Chinatown and the theater distric along the way.
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:40 PM

Ahhh, the Boston Harbor Hotel is absolutely magnificent! It has to be one of the most beautiful and elegant properties in Boston (although the Ritz and Four Seasons would put their nose up in a huff!).

I don't know where you are from, but the idea of having a waterfront view in the morning is really fantastic. Nearby attractions to the hotel are the Aquarium, Fanueil Hall and the North End (Italian food). A longer walk would be the USS Constitution. Should you stay at the BHH, you simply cross through Fanueil Hall and walk 4 blocks to the Boston Garden, where another 6 blocks of garden stroll brings you into Back Bay and Newbury Street with all the swanky shops.

Should you choose Back Bay to stay in (and can choose from the Ritz, Four Seasons, Sheraton, Park Plaza) or one of the new boutique hotels on Beacon Hill, you get the charm of HH Richardson's Back Bay.

Be sure to book a duck tour, just be sure to be at the gate early in the morning for the best selection of seats (I believe their new booking station is in the Prudential Center - indoor mall).

As a Bostonian, I love the town. The architecture is amazing, it is an extremely walkable city (small), but the shopping centers aren't very unique. Faneuil Hall resembles a mall with stores like AnnTaylor, Gap, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, etc., and the indoor malls (Copley Place, Prudential) have more of the same (albeit more upscale with Neiman Marcus/Saks).

Really, the centrality issue is moot. Everything is accessible via the T (subway which is efficient and inexpensive) and by walking.
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:50 PM

If you're planning a Duck Tour, the best way to book is online or through your Concierge as soon as you've checked in.

Even if you head to the ticket booth at the Pru very early, they sell out very quickly for the day.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your advice!