Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yet another S. Utah itinerary question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Putting the final touches on a trip to the national parks and would like to hear your advice on the following 2 options:

3 full days (4 nights with late afternoon arrival the first day and drive to Torrey on the last day) and 1.5 days (2 nights with late afternoon arrival from Bryce and mid-afternoon departure for LV) in Springdale/Zion

OR

2 full days in Moab and 2.5 days in Zion (3 nights in each)?

This will be in late April, if that makes any difference.

We like easy to moderate hikes. Mountain biking and whitewater rafting are not an option.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Andre
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Where are you flying or driving into/out of?
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Flying into SLC and out of LAS. Just to clarify, this is a 12 night trip. I'm comfortable with the rest of my plans, this is the only bit I'm not sure about.

Thanks,
Andre
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I think you should spend more time in Moab. It is easy to venture into both Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point from Moab. Plus there are 4X4 activities, biking, etc galore in Moab. A day spent in Capital Reef on your way to Zion's would be well spent.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dutch!

I'm spending 2 nights in Torrey and am definitely going to visit Capitol Reef NP.

It just seems that 2 days would do the trick in Moab: 1 day for Arches and 1 for Canyonlands - either on our own or combo jetboat/4x4 tour any opinions on that?). We couls still do something the next morning before heading off to Torrey. Whereas spending only 1.5 days in Zion might not do it justice...

Still undecided
Andre
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM

This one boils down to personal opinion and reactions to the scenery.
I like Capitol Reef better than Zion, so I personally would devote more time there.

One aspect of the trip you should consider is the drive from Torrey to Bryce Canyon. If you take Utah 12, you may have the urge to stop, get out of the car, and just look.

People who have not seen that area don't really understand. And I have not the words to describe it adequately.

Arches can take up time, that is for sure. If the weather is not broiling hot, you might get in a full day. Otherwise, you might need to seek cooler environments between 11 am and 3 PM.

Bear in mind one aspect of Zion. Most of the hikes are up from the floor of the canyon and they can be quite steep. Hidden Canyon for example is dicey if you don't have a head for heights.
The trail is on a shelf of rock that gets a little narrow at times, with the depths of the canyon one little step away.
Lady Mountain is best described as a lung buster.

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, Bob!

So you think that I should leave the 2 nights in Zion and stay 3 nights in Torrey instead?

BTW, we will be spending one night in Bryce as well.

Andre
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:13 PM

As I said earlier, I think we are down to personal preference. What I like to do may not be what anyone else wants to do.

I like wandering in these parks and I find Capitol Reef easier because many of the trails are fairly level. The Grand Wash path is along a relatively flat dry stream bed, unless it is raining!!!!!!!!!!
But we are so down to personal choices.
I don't know that there is a wrong one!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:45 PM

I live relatively close to both Moab and Torrey and love both. I think three nights in Torrey is more than needed... unless you really want to explore in depth the Boulder Mountain or 1,000 Lakes areas. You will find more to do/see/eat in and around Moab.

Make sure you make a visit to Bicknell (10 miles outside of Torrey) and have a piece of pie at the Sun Glo Cafe.

There is a little settlement town/orchard called Fruita that is a wonderful place to explore and picnic. If fruit is in season you'll be able to pick some (payment is on the honor system) and get a feel for what Utah was like 100 years ago.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh boy, re-reading my original post I realize it is unintillegible...

Here's what it should have said my options were:

3 full days in Moab (4 nights with late afternoon arrival the first day and drive to Torrey on the last day) and 1.5 days in Springdale/Zion (2 nights with late afternoon arrival from Bryce and mid-afternoon departure for LV)

OR

2 full days in Moab and 2.5 days in Zion (3 nights in each)?

BOTH of the options above also include 2 nights/1 day in Torrey/Capitol Reef and 1 night in Bryce!

Now comes option 3:

2 full days in Moab, 2 full days at Capitol Reef (instead of 1) and 1.5 days at Zion.

Hoping for further input...

Andre
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:49 AM

This is what I would do if it were me:

Day 1 drive to Moab and if I arrived before sunset drive into Arches to watch sunset.

Day 2 Explore Arches and do the 3 mile round trip hike to Delicate Arch. Rent Jeep for next day trip.

Day 3 Take Jeep and drive up the Potash Road looking for petroglyphs along the way. Then take the White Rim Trail to Mussel Man Arch and the go back the short distance and drive up the Shafer Trail into Canyonlands. Stop at Green River Overlook, Grand View Overlook, maybe take the short Mesa Arch Trail, a quick stop at Dead Horse State Park before driving back on Long Canyon to the Potash Road and back to Moab. The Jeep rental will give you maps and help with routes. These are easy dirt roads.

We did all this except for the stop at Dead Horse State Park (which you will drive right by) in 2001 and here are our pictures:

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id10.html

Day 4 Drive to Torrey - spend some time in Capitol Reef and watch the sunset

Day 5 Spend the day in Capitol Reef

Day 6 Drive the scenic Hwy 12 to Bryce

Day 7 Spend some time in Bryce before heading to Zion

Day 8 Zion - The Riverside Walk is a very easy trail. Weaping Rock isn't to far and Lower and Middle Emeral Pools is not a bad hike. Upper Emeral Pools is a little harder but worth it.
Day 9 Zion 1/2 day and drive back to Las Vegas

I hope I have the amount of days correct. If you have more time then I would probably spend it in Moab. There is so much to do in the area. Drive scenic Hwy 128. Look for petroglphys along Kane Creek Road, hiking in Arches.

Early April can be cool but we've been in mid to late April and had wonderful warm weather. GREAT for hiking!

Utahtea
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the additional info! Utahtea, as usual your feedback is invaluable - I see you posted at 4:49 AM EST... do you live in Europe??

Bird, I've taken note and will keep the 2 nights/1 full day in Torrey (with the sunset stop on my day of arrival as suggested by Utahtea).

Utahtea: I do have 1 extra day to allocate either to Moab or Zion... given the hikes you describe it would seem there is more than enough to fill a 2nd full day in Zion! Or should I rather take some more time to see Arches, Canyonlands or Dead Horse SP?

BTW, I don't see myself driving my own jeep around Canyonlands NP - has anyone taken this tour:
http://www.tagalong.com/trips/combin...trips/jj0.html
Or perhaps someone can comment on the itinerary.

Finally, what places in Arches & Capitol Reef do you recommend for sunset views?

Thanks again!
Andre
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:20 PM

We've never used Tag-a-long but they are a well known tour name in the area. The trip you had the link to sounds very good. It also goes up the Shafer Trail to Canyonlands.

Asking for me to choose between Arches and Zion is like asking which of my son's I like the best....it's not possible to answer.

There are many great hikes in Arches. Landscape Arch and if you can do a 5 mile round trip hike, I would keep going past Landscape all the way to Dark Angel. That is if you aren't afraid of heights. Also I love doing the Park Avenue hike.

Zion also has other great hikes that I didn't mention but in Zion you will be doing a lot more elevation gain.

No mater which park you choose, it will be scenic and fun.

Utahtea
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM

I forgot to mention...I live in California but I was up extra late last night.

Utahtea
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I took a 1/2 day tagalong jeep tour on the schafer trail. i think my fingerprints are still embedded in the upholstery. it is an absolutely stunning ride - look straight up 1,500 feet, straight down 1,500 feet, one-lane trail road with big rocks. wouldn't have missed it for the world. also took 1/2 day tagalong raft tour down the colorado, great fun and views. wish it had been a whole day.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

OK, so it looks like Tag-Along is a good idea for us.

Many hanks for the tips and keep the advice coming, especially hiking suggestions and tips for sunset views in Arches, Bryce, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion.

Again, special thanks to Utahtea! Your advice is absolutely invaluable, what would this board do without you??

Andre
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:47 AM

This thread is so great for quality information. I'm printing it out right away.

My husband and I are seriously considering driving from British Columbia, Canada to see the exact sights explored in these threads. The only thing is ... we're going to be driving a Corvette. Is it doable?? Will my husband be freaking out every 5 miles due to bad roads and dust (the car is black)?

We are not campers or even particularly "hikers" but do want to "view" the sights and take fantastic photos with the new digital camera. Can you just "drive through" and still "get the experience". I should say that it looks like we would be doing this road trip in August ... could that be a bad time??? I don't mind the heat and if we're not going to be exerting ourselves maybe we'd be O.K.?

We will be staying in motel/hotel type accommodations. I've just begun my looking around for info and as I said this thread has been an excellent start.

We will be starting this road trip on July 31st and have to be back at work on August 23.

On the way there or on the way back I would like to stop in Palm Springs, CA and maybe even Las Vegas. I think perhaps I'd better get out the map because I sound like I'm "all over it" after reading this.