South Carolina: 'Gators 'n' Gnats

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from New England and have never been anywhere that alligators reside. We are considering staying in a condo on Harbor Island, near Beaufort, SC on April 30 and May 1. It's 350 feet from the beach and near the 350,000-acre ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve, home to many birds and, I understand, the occasional alligator.

Now, my questions:

1. At the resort complex, should I be concerned about alligators? The condo owner has seen one in four years, on the other side of a safety fence that surrounds a pond. Are alligators likely to be lurking around or under the boardwalks to the sandy beach?

2. At that time of year, should I be aware of any insect infestations, such as mosquitoes, flies or gnats? I'm thinking, for example, of black fly season in Maine, which can be unpleasant.

Thank you.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
DRJ

I've lived near Beaufort for over 25 years and have seen an untold number of alligators. If you see one give it a wide berth. They can be aggressive in mating season but usually just lay in the sun.

The only annoying bugs in the area are called noseeums. They are tiny and bite but the bite is harmless. They cloud in still weather with temps in the 70s.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM

sluggo,
For some alligator info, check out http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/alligators/allmis.htm.
I've been vacationing in SC for over 30 years and while we always see alligators on Kiawah, we have never had a problem. They tend to stay around ponds/lagoons/water-filled areas, but not the beach. Younger ones will sometimes travel through the saltwater marsh when driven out of an area by a larger male, usually during breeding season. Don't approach or especially feed or taunt them and they will leave you alone. They are truly amazing to see, but not very exciting as they are usually either sunning themselves or floating pretty still in a lagoon.

We usually don't have many problems with bugs that early in the year. I agree with DRJ about still weather. The wildlife in and around the area is wonderful and you should have a geat time.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM

"Are alligators likely to be lurking around or under the boardwalks to the sandy beach?"

They do not live in salt water, so you will have no problem there.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
OO

Just don't go wading into any brackish or especially not fresh water. If your golf ball goes in and is lying ever so close...just leave it alone.

Noseeums are an issue in nice weather. When the temps are pleasant and no wind...watch out, especially early morning and evening around the marsh. Keeping scents...hairspray, perfume etc to a minimum or none helps, but not entirely. Skin So Soft definitely helps, and a hat in the evening when they are looking for something to snack up on is the best prevention for your head. They are annoying, but I've never had any lasting welts from them...and I do from most all insects.

There is some sort of fly in the woods in Savannah, but I only ran into them once in the time we lived there. It was wild...walked into the woods and all of a sudden I was swarmed. This was at a wildlife refuge, and as we drove up I'd seen an employee walking around in beekeeper gear. After my experience I knew why! They weren't bees and I have no idea what kind of a fly they were but I came out of those woods as if jet propelled!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM

Might have been blackflies!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Since I won't have a house pet, won't be there for mating season, will be sticking to the sandy beach and wouldn't dream of taunting any alligators, I feel we'll be safe!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM

The greatest concentration of gators is found in Gainesville, FL. Florida Gators <http://www.ufl.edu/> that is.

They are not dangerous to tourists...only to the athletic teams of their opponents.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM

sluggo, we vacation on harbor island every summer for 2 weeks. you may see an alligator in the marsh, but you won't be swimming there. the ocean is fine. it is such a beautiful, peaceful area. may is great there too. we used to vacation near acadia in maine. mosquitos (no black flies in sc) were worse in maine. may is lovely there.