No-see-ums in Micronesia?

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-see-ums in Micronesia?

I get bit like crazy and I am allergic to their bites (which last up to 4 months). Are there No-see-ums there? What is the best islands or seasons to go.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM

We call them sandflies in Australia, I'm referring to the tiny barely visible things which can pack a punch, raise large welts, seep and sometimes become infected.

Yes, they're in Micronesia, they're endemic in tropics and like to hang around coastal lagoons, estuaries, magrove swamps, tidal flats. Some resorts spray chemicals around their grounds to control sandflies and mosquitoes, am not to sure if this is a good idea. Usually more prevalent in morning and evening and inactive in windy weather.

Some people benefit from a vitamin B course before they leave home, but others say this has no effect. Ditto for insect repellent, long sleeves and full length pants are the best protection, but not what you'd probably want to wear in the tropics.
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes thanks, tried everything. What about a season in Fiji where they are less prevalent? Thanks
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Have never had a problem in Fiji or Vanuatua in either wet or dry seasons, but, grounds everywhere have ever stayed were sprayed in morning and evening, or had fogging machines. I live in a similar tropical coastal latitude to both those countries, its not so much the season which dictates but the weather on the day and tides, for instance, here the sandflies are usually about on cloudy still days in late afternoon.

Good luck!
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat, Just got back from St John and Tortorla and got ate up... Even at the beach during the heat of the day. Day, night didn't seem to matter. Even had 100% deet on.
Would love to try the South Pacific. Thanks