Search

Sand fleas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sand fleas

Did anyone ever have a problem with sand fleas in the Bahamas? Is it really necessary to use the products that protect against sand fleas, or will any insect repellent do?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM

It depends on when you go. We just got back late last night from an 8 day trip to GBI. Zero sand fleas. Go in really warm weather (mid-May thru Sept and maybe later) and you will probably need protection.

Danny
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM

I just returned from Long Island in the Bahamas. I used bug spray with deet - as recommended - and still got bit! I was miserable! Now I have 100% deet ready for my next trip!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM

I've never had much success when the varmints are out in force. The Bahamians call the "no-see-ums". I've tried 100% Deet, skin-so-soft, etc., to no avail. They don't bite; it's actually a sting, and my wife gets small, red welts from them. In Nassau several years ago, we were walking along West Bay Street outside of town, when hundreds of them seemed to crawl up our legs and bite (sting). They attack in hoards, especially in morning and at dusk. They can easily crawl through window screens and if your place has a luminescent light, turn it off. That type of light attracts no-see-ums like, well, flies? We'll never get rid of them, for the cost of extermination would be unhealthy for humans (insecticides); they can lay over 10 million eggs per acre, in Spring and Fall, and hatch in under 5 days...all at once! Like mosquitos, the larva start in the water, and fortunatly, over 90% of them are eaten by frogs, birds,small fish, and crabs. The remaining 10% sprout wings and fly out of the water...to bite the hell out of all of us. Just count your blessings that Mother Nature devours almost all of them in the larva stage. Can you imagine what it would be like if they all emerged from the larval stage??!! The Caribbean islands would be off limits. Robert

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM

We just got back from a 4 night trip to Sandals in Nassau (2/19 to 2/24) and didn't get bit once. We were on the beach every day and didn't see one sand flea.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to the Bahamas several times in July when it's REALLY hot. We never had any problem with sand fleas.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:31 AM

Out of the 30+ times we've ventured to the Bahamian archipelago, sand fleas bothered us on only four occassions. Once in Eleuthera, the villa we rented was full of them. We sprayed everything with deet, but to no avail. Deet worked for about 20 minutes before they returned. Did not get a decent night's sleep. It must have been during a peak hatching period. The three other times were while walking in Nassau along the roadway, and two other times on a beach (forget which island). The other times we never experienced them. Robert